files show as ascii instead of downloading

The wee free man

Hi all,

When I click on a link (<a href="www.blah.com/movie.wmv">movie</a>) it shows
ascii characters in netscape.
IE automatically opens the file or lets me save it to disk.
Why is this not working in netscape??

Thanks
WFM

Leif K-Brooks

The said:
When I click on a link (<a href="www.blah.com/movie.wmv">movie</a>) it shows
ascii characters in netscape.
IE automatically opens the file or lets me save it to disk.

Your server is sending an incorrect MIME type for the file. IE
incorrectly guesses the correct MIME type, but some browsers work
better. Configure your server to send the video/x-ms-wmv MIME type for
that file.

Neal

Hi all,

When I click on a link (<a href="www.blah.com/movie.wmv">movie</a>) it
shows
ascii characters in netscape.
IE automatically opens the file or lets me save it to disk.
Why is this not working in netscape??

Thanks
WFM

Probably being served with the wrong MIME. URL?

The wee free man

Yeah, it's the whole MIME thing...
I let the ones who host my site know and asked them to fix it ;)
Let's see what they say...

Thanks wfm