files

netnatter

I have a pdf file on my site with a link to download it.

I can count the number of hits on the page with the link but how can I count
how many times it has actually been downloaded?

Jaez

Patrice

Hello,
I can count the number of hits on the page with the link but how can I
count how many times it has actually been downloaded?

You have this information in the IIS log (more precisely the number of times
the link as been clicked).

If you need to get this info programmtically rathern than putting a link to
the PDF file, you could put a link to a page that will stream the file to
the browser. This way this page (or a handler) can do whatever you want
before streaming the file (such as counting). See :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/12s31dhy(VS.80).aspx and search for
this method on the web for tons of example...