FileSystemObject On IIS

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by MDW, May 14, 2005.

  1. MDW

    MDW Guest

    I'm not sure if this is a coding problem or an IIS settings problem.

    I've enabled IIS on my local machine (Windows XP SP2) so I can do some ASP
    development prior to rolling out my Web page to a hosting service like
    Brinkster. I've never done that before.

    I'm also trying to use the FileSystemObject to create a dynamic set of links
    to all the HTML files within a folder, so that I don't have to keep adding
    and removing links as my main content changes. I've never used FSO on a Web
    site before.

    Whenever the following code executes, the page doesn't load:

    strPath = Server.MapPath(Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO"))

    strPath = Left(strPath, InStrRev(strPath,"\"))

    Response.Write strPath & "<br>"

    Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)

    Response.Write strPath & " has been opened"

    Set objFolder = Nothing
    Set objFSO = Nothing

    I'm pretty sure it's the "objFSO.OpenFolder" command that's causing the page
    to die - when I comment it out, the page loads fine. I'm fairly certain the
    code is OK, but I'm not positive. Is there something I have to do differently
    when I use FSO within ASP?

    Or is it possible that I don't have my IIS configured correctly? Any
    pointers on that? I know absolutely nothing about server setup.
    --
    Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!

    MDW, May 14, 2005

  2. MDW

    Steven Burn Guest

    I wasn't aware there was an OpenFolder method for FSO?

    Try changing;

    Set objFolder = objFSO.OpenFolder(strPath)

    To;

    Set objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder(strPath)

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 14, 2005

  3. MDW

    MDW Guest

    I believe that both syntaxes are valid.

    But in either case, changing the method didn't help. It just sits there and
    tries to load. If I let it sit there long enough, I'll get a "This page
    cannot be displayed" error.

    MDW, May 14, 2005
  4. MDW

    Steven Burn Guest

    With OpenFolder I got;

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01b6'
    Object doesn't support this property or method: 'OpenFolder'

    With GetFolder I got;

    [Path Removed]\misc\
    [Path Removed]\misc\ has been opened

    http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp

    Code I used:

    http://mysteryfcm.plus.com/misc/testfso.asp?s=Show_Code

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 14, 2005
  5. MDW

    MDW Guest

    Well, OK so I need to use GetFOlder. But it still doesn't seem to work.

    Any ideas if I need to change any IIS settings to get it to work right?

    MDW, May 14, 2005
  6. MDW

    Steven Burn Guest

    Try enabling the error messages if you haven't already;

    In IE;

    Tools > Internet Options > Advanced (tab)

    Untick "Show friendly HTTP error messages"

    In IIS;

    Home Directory (tab) > Configuration (button)

    Click the Debugging tab, then place a tick in "Enable ASP server-side ascript debugging"

    Under "Script Error Messages", select "Send detailed ASP error messages to client"

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 14, 2005
  7. MDW

    MDW Guest

    Well, I might have misspoken. It's been about 25 minutes, and I STILL can't
    get the page to load, even to come up with an error. The progress bar is
    about halfway, and it doesn't look like it's moving any farther.

    MDW, May 14, 2005
  8. MDW

    Steven Burn Guest

    Bit of a long shot but, try checking the permissions for the folder your trying to access, and make sure you don't have any third party applications that could be blocking the script (e.g. Norton, Zone Alarm, WinPatrol, Spybot S&D, ScriptSentry etc etc etc)

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, May 14, 2005
  9. norton script blocking ?

    its evil for asp

    Kyle Peterson, May 14, 2005
  10. MDW

    Steven Burn Guest

    Just an FYI, been sorting out my favourites and came accross this;

    #2180 Why does FileSystemObject hang all of a sudden
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2180

    ASPFAQ seems to be down atm (well, I can't get the page up atm here anyway) so if you have any problems, try viewing it later :eek:)

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group