FileSystemObject question...

Steve

Hi all,

FileSystemObject question...

I'm trying to check if files exist or not, but the files
are not sitting on the same server as our Intranet.
Basically we have about 5000 photos in a directory on our
database server, and they must stay there. I want to use
the FileSystemObject (running on our Intranet server) to
check if a photo is there, if so display it, if not
display a 'no image' graphic.

Within IIS I've created a virtual directory
called 'staffpics' which looks at the hidden share for the
photos: \\servername\sharename$

This works fine displaying the photos in IE:
intranet.domain.co.uk/staffpics/117495.jpg

But when I try to check if the file exists using the
FileSystemObject:

CheckThisFile = Server.MapPath("/staffpics/117495.jpg")
Set filesys = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Response.Write filesys.FileExists(CheckThisFile)

I get "False", but I know the file is there and accessible.

Any help with this would be great, even if it's not using
the FileSystemObject...!

Thanks,

Steve

Steve

Thanks Aaron,

But I don't think I have any network access problems, I
can map a drive to the share, I can view the photos via
the virtual directory in IE, all I can't do is check if
the file (.jpg) exists using the FSO.

As I mentioned, I need to use ASP/VBScript to check if an
individual has a photo, if so display it, if not display
a 'no photo' image.

I really appreciate your help, any other ideas..?

Steve

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

But I don't think I have any network access problems, I
can map a drive to the share, I can view the photos via
the virtual directory in IE, all I can't do is check if
the file (.jpg) exists using the FSO.

That's because *YOU* are logged on as *YOU.* When your ASP script runs, it
runs as *IUSR*, not *YOU*. Hence, http://www.aspfaq.com/2168

Please read the article *thoroughly* before you decide it couldn't possibly
apply to you.