FileUtils.touch doesn't work

Jeff Toth

Why won't Ruby just install from the port? I don't know what Ruby is,
what it is for, all I know is that it has our live webserver down
because it has removed some shared file that is keeping Apache from
running. All I tried to do was update Ruby using portupgrade and now
portupgrade will not function either. Is there any way to fix this
quickly? I also received an error that says that 'touch' is not
supported by FileUtils but I cannot get that error message to repeat. I
read that 'touch' is supported so I do not understand. Thanks.

rbconfig.rb unchanged
/mkconfig.rb:157: [BUG] Unknown longjmp status -1077937364
ruby 1.8.5 {2006-08-25} [i386-freebsd5]

The offending code from mkconfig.rb:

end
if String === $timestamp
FileUtils.touch($timestamp}
end

Michael Hernandez

Why won't Ruby just install from the port? I don't know what Ruby is,
what it is for, all I know is that it has our live webserver down
because it has removed some shared file that is keeping Apache from
running. All I tried to do was update Ruby using portupgrade and now
portupgrade will not function either. Is there any way to fix this
quickly? I also received an error that says that 'touch' is not
supported by FileUtils but I cannot get that error message to
repeat. I
read that 'touch' is supported so I do not understand. Thanks.

sounds like you may want to contact freebsd-questions or the port
maintainer. I've used freebsd in the past and I can tell you that
portupgrade does indeed use ruby, so if your ruby installation is not
functioning properly you won't be able to use that. Unless there are
some ruby/freebsd gurus here (which there very well may be...) you
will need to give your error information to the freebsd-questions
list or the maintainer of the ruby port.

Mike

Wilson Bilkovich

Why won't Ruby just install from the port? I don't know what Ruby is,
what it is for, all I know is that it has our live webserver down
because it has removed some shared file that is keeping Apache from
running. All I tried to do was update Ruby using portupgrade and now
portupgrade will not function either. Is there any way to fix this
quickly? I also received an error that says that 'touch' is not
supported by FileUtils but I cannot get that error message to repeat. I
read that 'touch' is supported so I do not understand. Thanks.

rbconfig.rb unchanged
./mkconfig.rb:157: [BUG] Unknown longjmp status -1077937364
ruby 1.8.5 {2006-08-25} [i386-freebsd5]

The offending code from mkconfig.rb:

end
if String === $timestamp
FileUtils.touch($timestamp}
end

What happens if you cd to the Ruby port directory, and type 'make install' ?

Along with that, Michael's advice is good.

Jeff Toth

Wilson said:
What happens if you cd to the Ruby port directory, and type 'make
install' ?

Along with that, Michael's advice is good.

That is where I probably got into trouble was when Ruby failed to
update, I tried make deinstall, make reinstall, and then make install,
cleaning and rebooting each time but they all result in the same error.
I have sent off and email to the maintainer of the port, no response
thus far, I also, after spending several hours of trying to figure out
which email list to post to on FreeBSD, sent off 3 emails that never
went through. So I sent a test email that went through and instead of
asking if I am having trouble with the list, they promptly jumped down
my throat and blacklisted me as if I have nothing better to do than send
them test emails so I won't be trying them anymore.

I appreciate your responses greatly though but I guess this is just too
hard for a newbie like me and I don't seem to have any luck installing
this stuff as it seems that these ports always error out and never just
install.

I got it to give me the other error that I get by trying to reinstall
portupgrade, just for your reference:

rbconfig.rb updated
/mkconfig.rb:157: undefined method `touch' for FileUtils:Module
(NoMethodError)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.5.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/ruby18.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

Eric Hodel

I got it to give me the other error that I get by trying to reinstall
portupgrade, just for your reference:

rbconfig.rb updated
./mkconfig.rb:157: undefined method `touch' for FileUtils:Module
(NoMethodError)
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/ruby18/work/ruby-1.8.5.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/ruby18.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

$ pkg_info | grep ruby-
ruby-1.8.5_4,1 An object-oriented interpreted scripting language
$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i386-freebsd6]
$ ruby -rfileutils -e 'FileUtils.touch "x"'
$ ll x
-rw-r--r-- 1 drbrain drbrain 0 Nov 28 11:32 x
$ date
Tue Nov 28 11:32:29 PST 2006
$ portupgrade --version
portupgrade 2.0.1
$ uname -a
FreeBSD ziz.jijo.segment7.net 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #0: Mon
May 29 21:07:21 PDT 2006 (e-mail address removed)7.net:/usr/obj/usr/
src/sys/GENERIC i386

What does yours say, do?

Eric Hodel

See below for a Google list link.

Maybe someone will write an automated Usenet scraper to filter all the
reports of 1.8.5 difficulties and assemble them into a coherent
summary
that removes what are obviously user problems, not Ruby problems.

In the meantime, there are any number of 1.8.5-related reports in the
archive for this newsgroup. See below.

As to a problem that prevents 1.8.5 from working with the Qt
library, I
wouldn't dream of filing against Ruby's code on this. It is far too
complex
to make that assumption. It is no less completely broken, but it
could turn
out to be a problem with Qt, or the interface class, whatever.

But this is not the norm for 1.8.5 difficulties, many of which can be
demonstrated using command-line applications (and as the messages
show in
the Google list below).

Granted, but if you could narrow down the problem somebody might be
able to fix it.
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=1.8.5+problem+group:*ruby*

This is obviously an undigested list, and only a small percentage
actually
refer to bugs in 1.8.5 as opposed to user difficulties, but there
are quite
a few that show intrinsic 1.8.5 problems.

The list shows 150, and a small percentage is under 10%, so under 15
problems.

I'm sure that offhand you can name 1 of the 15 off the top of your
head. Can you file a bug for it?

Jeff Toth

--
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://blog.segment7.net

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com

$ pkg_info | grep ruby
ruby-1.6.8.2004.07.28_2 An object-oriented interpreted scripting
language
ruby16-shim-ruby18-1.8.1.p3 A set of Ruby modules to provide Ruby 1.8
functionalities
ruby18-usersguide-20051121_1 Ruby users guide, in HTML format

$ ruby -v
su: ruby: command not found

John W. Kennedy

Eric said:
What problems?

Have you filed bugs at the tracker:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1698&group_id=426&func=browse

I'd really like to know so I can fix them.

I have had zero problems with 1.8.5.

I don't know where the problem lies, but 1.8.5 as installed by 1.8.5-21
of the One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows fails catastrophically with
used with the IFMapper gem, which works fine with 1.8.4-20, and there is
a report that rubyw.exe fails generally.

Eric Hodel

I don't know where the problem lies, but 1.8.5 as installed by
1.8.5-21 of the One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows fails
catastrophically with used with the IFMapper gem, which works fine
with 1.8.4-20, and there is a report that rubyw.exe fails generally.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=5677&group_id=167&atid=715

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=5621&group_id=167&atid=715

rubyw.exe's failures seem to be io related, but there aren't any good
reports of how it is broken.

It would be nice for somebody to give Curt some helpful feedback and
good, minimal testcases.