Filling PDF Forms

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Kevin Olbrich, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
    I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.

    Kevin Olbrich, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Kevin Olbrich

    Gary Watson Guest

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

    Gary Watson, Dec 5, 2005

  3. pfharlock wrote:
    > Kevin Olbrich <> wrote:
    >> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
    >> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
    >>

    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

    While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

    To clarify... I have a pre-existing PDF file which has various form
    fields defined within it. I would like to automatically fill the
    defined form fields with data from a database and provide the completed
    file for download to the end user.

    As near as I can tell from reading the manual, PDF::Writer does not
    support forms in this fashion.

    I really don't want to regenerate the entire form from scratch.

    _Kevin

    Kevin Olbrich, Dec 5, 2005
  4. On 12/5/05, Kevin Olbrich <> wrote:
    > pfharlock wrote:
    > > Kevin Olbrich <> wrote:
    > >> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
    > >> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
    > >>

    > > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

    > While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

    You are correct. I am not sure when or if this will be possible with
    PDF::Writer. You may want to look around the Adobe developer website,
    because there are indications that it may be possible with other
    means. I just haven't investigated it so far.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Dec 5, 2005
  5. Kevin Olbrich

    Guest

    I'm looking for this same functionality myself. Please post if/when you
    find a way to do it in Ruby.

    Thanks-
    Michael

    , Dec 16, 2005