filtering search results

mark | r

anyone have any tips on creating a search results filter to provide the best
matches first? we're using an access database as part of a very small custom
CMS, and we need to site search function that doesnt just output any base
matches for a given term.

thanks

mark

Jeff Cochran

anyone have any tips on creating a search results filter to provide the best
matches first? we're using an access database as part of a very small custom
CMS, and we need to site search function that doesnt just output any base
matches for a given term.

Define "best". :)

Most searches will rank a result, often based on the number of times
the result appears in a text item or similar. But it really depends
on how you define "best matches" in your environment. For example, if
you had an employee database and searched on last name, you might
order by first name if there is more than one employee by the same
last name. But if you searched on department, you might order by last
name, or you may choose to order by pay grade if that makes more sense
in your case.

As another example, if you have a store and someone is searching for
white shoes in a size six, then blue sweaters are probably not a close
match. But would white shoes in a size six and a half be better than
cream shoes in a size six? I'll bet you won't know since your
customers will have different preferences. When you toss in the
designer, price range, etc. it gets even worse. Maybe a pair of Bruno
Magli pumps for $250 is a better match than a similar pair of
Ferragamo's for $150. And Jimmy Choo's in the same price range would
be more desirable even if they were a different color or style.

"Best" is often in the eye of the beholder.

And why the heck do I know so much about shoes? I own two pair, old
ones and new ones. That way my wife gets more room in the closet
for... I know why I know so much about shoes! :)

Jeff

mark | r

good point.

what im after is a sample algorithm that i can adapt to meet any future
requirements.

anyone know of any samples with demonstrated application?

mark