Filters like old skool Jive, Fudd, Valspeak... Text transformation in Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by dananrg@yahoo.com, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I would like to learn how to roll my own filter ala early 90's filters
    like Jive, Fudd, Kraut, Moron, etc, that take text as an input, and
    re-writes the text adding general hilarity of various linguistic flavor
    (depending on the filter).

    I always loved running my philosophy papers, or anything that sounded
    "too dang serious" through filters. Gave me a new perspective on my own
    writing.

    Running the screenplay of the Empire Strikes Back through the Kraut
    filter, particularly the scene where Vader reveals Skywalker's true
    lineage, is amusing. No offense to good Germans everywhere. I'm sure
    someone could write a good "American" filter than would be a gag on
    American obsession with success and work, being happy 100% of the time,
    etc.

    Anyway, I'd like to see an old skool filter written in Python so I can
    write my own filters. There's an old prof of mine so, erm,
    linguistically unique, that I absolutely must write a Prof X filter to
    share with old college buds. I need to encapsulate / generate a model
    of the Prof's speech patterns for posterity and "educational purposes
    only" - ok, for entertainment.

    A fun way to learn more about Python and text processing.

    Any good "generators" written in Python? I'd like to roll me one of
    these as well; e.g. execute the program and it will create a few
    paragraphs of text in the jargon of a discipline, subdiscipline,
    subculture, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

    Thanks.
    , Apr 5, 2006

  2. Re: Filters like old skool Jive, Fudd, Valspeak... Text transformationin Python

    wrote:

    (snip part about filters)

    > Any good "generators" written in Python? I'd like to roll me one of
    > these as well; e.g. execute the program and it will create a few
    > paragraphs of text in the jargon of a discipline, subdiscipline,
    > subculture, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

    There's a Kant generator example in Dive Into Python:
    http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html

    --
    bruno desthuilliers
    p in ''.split('@')])"
    bruno at modulix, Apr 5, 2006

    bruno at modulix wrote:
    > There's a Kant generator example in Dive Into Python:
    > http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html

    Thanks Bruno! Perhaps I could modify it to throw in some Hume and
    Wittgenstein, mix it all up in a syntactic / semantic blender and
    REALLY confuse people. Word Games indeed. :)

    Or throw in stuff by whichever philosopher who wrote a book called "The
    Meaning of Meaning", to add some metaphoric recursion. And that what be
    one heck of a Frankenstenian (but only 1 part Wittgensteinian)
    Robo-philosopher.

    Dana
    , Apr 5, 2006
  4. Dave Hansen Guest

    On 5 Apr 2006 13:44:48 -0700 in comp.lang.python,
    wrote:

    >bruno at modulix wrote:
    >> There's a Kant generator example in Dive Into Python:
    >> http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html

    >Thanks Bruno! Perhaps I could modify it to throw in some Hume and
    >Wittgenstein, mix it all up in a syntactic / semantic blender and
    >REALLY confuse people. Word Games indeed. :)
    >
    >Or throw in stuff by whichever philosopher who wrote a book called "The
    >Meaning of Meaning", to add some metaphoric recursion. And that what be
    >one heck of a Frankenstenian (but only 1 part Wittgensteinian)
    >Robo-philosopher.

    Don't forget the famous American philosopher who contemplated the
    meaning of is.

    Regards,
    -=Dave

    --
    Change is inevitable, progress is not.
    Dave Hansen, Apr 5, 2006
  5. John Salerno Guest

    Dave Hansen wrote:

    > Don't forget the famous American philosopher who contemplated the
    > meaning of is.

    Unfortunately, until he gives us a definition, we'll never really know
    who he is... :)
    John Salerno, Apr 5, 2006
  6. John Machin Guest

    > Any good "generators" written in Python? I'd like to roll me one of
    > these as well; e.g. execute the program and it will create a few
    > paragraphs of text in the jargon of a discipline, subdiscipline,
    > subculture, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

    Perhaps you might be interested in this (contains a link to a Python
    script):

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_V_Shaney
    John Machin, Apr 5, 2006