Final project in java course,need some help.

tomerdr

Hi,
I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
science
And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
server
I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
running on mobile devices,
The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
Since i need to focus on the communication side
I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
can be sent
as UDP packets

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Pitts

Hi,
I am taking a course in java programming as part of my B.Sc in computer
science
And for the final project i need to create a sockets based multithreads
server
I would like to create a streaming media server and a j2me client
running on mobile devices,
The media should be sent using the UDP protocol.
Since i need to focus on the communication side
I am looking for a package which can break video file into frames which
can be sent
as UDP packets

Thanks in advance.

Look into JMF.
Java Media Framework.

John Ersatznom

Daniel said:
Look into JMF.
Java Media Framework.

The course assignment might have restrictions on use of third-party
libraries. After all, with the right third party libraries a LOT of
assignments of this nature may reduce to a trivial

public static void main (String [] args) {
Foo foo = new Foo();
foo.bar();
}

Mind you, creating a client *and* a server probably requires at least
two of the above, no matter what library you use...:)

(Remember that it's possible, using the *core Java libraries only*, to
make a very crude but semifunctional Web browser in a handful of lines
of code, most of which call into Swing and instantiate a window with an
HTML-rendering text pane class buried somewhere in javax.*...yes, a Web
browser! I wouldn't be surprised if J2EE adds the capability for a
three-liner to be a basic but functional HTTP server. If JMF is at all
comparably-capable for media services, it isn't hard to extrapolate.)

Daniel Pitts

[top posting corrected]
Thanks.can it be used to break a file into suitable packets?
A: Because top posting makes it hard to follow
Q: Why?
A: Put it bellow.
Q: Should I put my reply above or below the quote.

To answer your question... I don't know, look it up yourself.

Andrew Thompson

Daniel said:
A: Because top posting makes it hard to follow
Q: Why?
A: Put it bellow.

A very loud utterance (like the sound of an animal)?
Or did sir, perhaps mean, 'below'.*
Q: Should I put my reply above or below the quote.

* Though it made for a (slightly) funny joke, my
note has a deeper meaning. People who read
that but are not familiar with english might do a
search on 'bellow' - and get very confused.

OTOH, on-top/under, first/last, before/after..
are all clearer ( and easier to spell ;).

Andrew T.