Final straw with Silverlight and Vista

Lloyd Sheen

Is there anyone out there who can tell me why I cannot install (and now
uninstall) Silverlight. Now the ASP.NET tutorials are in Silverlight (AJAX)
and I cannot view them.

It is beyond me why since I am admin of my workstation cannot get this to
work. Now on the unistall I am told that I cannot open the registry key
AgControl.AgControl.1.0\CLSID.

I go to regedit and attempt to view it but it say I can't. This is possibly
the most ****ed up thing I have ever seen. I have tried to use regedit as
admin but cannot. I have UAC turned off like most people who use Vista.

There are a new set of video tutorials available from MS about AJAX.NET and
not being able to see them is quite a turnoff.

HELP PLEASE

Lloyd Sheen

Mark Rae [MVP]

It is beyond me why since I am admin of my workstation cannot get this to
work. Now on the unistall I am told that I cannot open the registry key
AgControl.AgControl.1.0\CLSID.

I go to regedit and attempt to view it but it say I can't. This is
possibly the most ****ed up thing I have ever seen. I have tried to use
regedit as admin but cannot.

Sounds like you have a corrupt registry.
I have UAC turned off like most people who use Vista.

You're joking of course...

Lloyd Sheen

Mark Rae said:
Sounds like you have a corrupt registry.

You're joking of course...

Sorry Mark, but all this is no joke. For instance:

I go to the page http://support.microsoft.com/silverlight The Silverlight
Solution Center. Then click on the "Verify if you have successfully
installed..."

Now I am at http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/getassistance.aspx.

Since I cannot see the image moving I click on "Please install Silverlight
now".

Now that takes me to
http://www.microsoft.com/library/er...spx?aspxerrorpath=/silverlight/downloads.aspx

Which if you go there has a title "We're sorry, but we were unable to
service your request. You may wish to choose from the links below for
information about Microsoft products and services.".

This whole experience is beyond any level of competence I have seen.

Now if my registry is corrupt what would I do. I can see the registry items
for Silverlight (there are lots of links to "solutions" to this problem."
which I have tried to no avail.

So I uninstall then reinstall with the setup.exe I had. I now have items in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes for both AgControl.AgControl and
AgControl.AgControl.1.0.

I cannot open either key and I am using regedit as admin.

HELP this is so .... I am at a loss for words.

Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen said:
[...]

I have also attempted to regsvr32 npctrl.dll. From that I get 0x80070005.

LS

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I cannot open either key and I am using regedit as admin.

This post explains how you can change permissions so you can :

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1316570&SiteID=1

To edit or delete a protected key, make sure regedit is opened with administrator rights.

Select permissions on the key and change ownership from
trustedinstaller to an account/group with Administrative rights.

Once this change is applied to the key, grant the Administrators - Full Control.
The key can now be deleted or changed.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Sorry Mark, but all this is no joke. For instance:

What are you apologising for...?

I meant that you must be joking if you think that most people running Vista
have turned UAC off.

I'm sure most people running Vista will have understood what UAC is for, so
will not have disabled it...

Lloyd Sheen

Mark Rae said:
What are you apologising for...?

I meant that you must be joking if you think that most people running
Vista have turned UAC off.

I'm sure most people running Vista will have understood what UAC is for,
so will not have disabled it...

Marc,

So I just turned on UAC. Now lets say I double click an mp3 file. I
get a dialog that tells me that windows no longer know what program to use
to open it. All I did was turn on UAC. Now the file association that went
to WinAmp is gone.

It is things like this that boggle my mind. I thought that computers
were supposed to get simpler to operate. I have been programming for 30+
years and this takes me back to when you needed a systems programmer to get
some things done.

Why would turning on UAC cause an association problem?

When I go to Set default programs Winamp is not even in the list now.

Things like this is why I wonder why Vista??

LS

Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen said:
Marc,

So I just turned on UAC. Now lets say I double click an mp3 file. I
get a dialog that tells me that windows no longer know what program to use
to open it. All I did was turn on UAC. Now the file association that
went to WinAmp is gone.

It is things like this that boggle my mind. I thought that computers
were supposed to get simpler to operate. I have been programming for 30+
years and this takes me back to when you needed a systems programmer to
get some things done.

Why would turning on UAC cause an association problem?

When I go to Set default programs Winamp is not even in the list now.

Things like this is why I wonder why Vista??

LS

Now after all that, UAC is on, I reinstall Silverlight. Says ok but when
you go to a Silverlight site, it says it is not installed. I rest my case.
UAC or not it will not install. At least this time it will uninstall
without having to go to the registry and update the permissions.

I don't want this thread to be a diss of MS. All I really want is to be
able to install Silverlight.

HELP

LS

Mark Rae [MVP]

Why would turning on UAC cause an association problem?

Like I said, it sounds very much like you have a corrupt Registry - turning
UAC off and on has no effect on the file associations on my installation...
Things like this is why I wonder why Vista??

As a veteran programmer of 30+ years experience, you'll surely know that
sometimes operating systems can become corrupt due to many factors - I'd
suggest you reinstall cleanly...

Alternatively, you might get better advice in one of the Vista newsgroups...

Lloyd Sheen

Mark Rae said:
What are you apologising for...?

I meant that you must be joking if you think that most people running
Vista have turned UAC off.

I'm sure most people running Vista will have understood what UAC is for,
so will not have disabled it...

And it get better. I go to VS and open a project. Make a change. Click
save. Operation failed.

So I go to notepad. Make the change. Attempt to save. It tells that the
path and filename are incorrect.

Ok so I open notepad with new file type so text and save to same folder. No
problem.

Finally I get the message I was looking for. Access denied.

Ok UAC what a great thing. Someone wrote in a post to me a while back about
Vista protecting me from myself.

Since it seems that UAC now prevents me from doing everything I have been
doing for the last year, I really have to wonder why?????

HELP your out of here UAC.

LS