Finally moving from classic asp to ASP.NET 2.0 w/Visual Studio 2005

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MartyNg, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. MartyNg

    MartyNg Guest

    I have been looking online for pointers, and read mixed things. I was
    hoping if I post direct questions here, I could get some solid answers.

    I work for a small company with less than 10 web developers. We have
    been using classic ASP for years. We do a lot of work with SQL Server,
    and moving from classic ASP to ASP.NET has been a bit confusing. We're
    not sure how to get started.

    Is there a good resource for people who are stuck in classic ASP mode?
    We all have Visual Studio 2005 PRO and are not sure the best way to
    develop. We do not have any source control programs. We have test and
    production web servers. To connect to our database servers, we
    currently use simple "include" files that contain the connection
    strings to each database. We are not migrating any old applications to
    ASP.NET 2 (unless necessary).

    What's the best way to work in groups with VS 2005? Is it better to
    create the website on the test server using "File System" via a network
    share, and all developers work from that instead of everyone running
    testing on their local machine?

    Our webservers currently have about 100 classic ASP "applications". For
    new applications, do we just create one "web site", and work from
    there, or do we need to create a separate "web site" for every single
    application?

    If anyone could point me to a good site that could get us started and
    answer some of these questions, that would be great.

    Thanks!

    MartyNg, Dec 22, 2005

  2. MartyNg

    Marina Guest

    I would recommend forgetting most things you know about ASP, as that usually
    makes people stay stuck in doing things the ASP way. You all might want to
    get some ASP.NET books, read stuff online, view some training material, etc.

    I think source control is always a good idea. I would suggest that everyone
    develop/test locally, then check their code into a soruce control system,
    and that you do builds from that onto a QA server. Then, you can do
    periodic builds to a production server. You should be able to have one web
    site, with multiple applications.

    I am not sure if you are going to find one resource to address every single
    one of these concerns. I think you will need to do some serious research and
    experimenting to find the right configuration that works for you.

    Marina, Dec 22, 2005

  3. MartyNg

    darrel Guest

    > I think source control is always a good idea.

    I think it's critical with .net...esepcially if you are using VS.net and
    compiled code.

    We're just a two person group here and we're not using source control, and
    even we are struggling at times.

    As for me, the biggest hurdle going from scripted code to compiled/OOP code
    was to break out of the whole 'include' concept for sharing code across web
    applications.

    You'll also see a lot of talk about fully separating your .net code in
    codebehind with your HTML on the ASPX page. In asp, everything was
    intermingled, but in .net, you have the ability to fully separate them.

    I still do a lot of HTML production via the codebehind, which is partly due
    to old mindsets, and partly due to the fact that I don't always find the
    ..net controls as flexible as I'd like them to be.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Dec 22, 2005
  4. MartyNg

    MartyNg Guest

    Well, I've been using VS 2005 for a few solid days now. I have some
    database connectivity and it's pretty cool! In our current production
    systems, we have a 5 or 6 connection "include" files that point to
    different databases. All the applications with database connectivity
    use these 5 or 6 include files. So, my next step is to find the best
    way to have all my new applications work in a way that wouldn't require
    a million different changes when a new database server gets added!

    MartyNg, Dec 28, 2005