find() a larger string within a smaller string

korean_dave

stringa = "hi"
stringb = "hiyoooo"

I'd like it to return -1 when I do:

returnVal = stringa.find(stringb);

Instead, it treats stringa as "hi" and stringb as "hi".

How do I solve this?

Mensanator

stringa = "hi"
stringb = "hiyoooo"

I'd like it to return -1 when I do:

returnVal = stringa.find(stringb);

Instead, it treats stringa as "hi" and stringb as "hi".

How do I solve this?

Try this:
-1

John Machin

stringa = "hi"
stringb = "hiyoooo"

I'd like it to return -1 when I do:

returnVal = stringa.find(stringb);

Instead, it treats stringa as "hi" and stringb as "hi".

You appear to be gravely mistaken:

| -1
How do I solve this?

You need to tell us why you thought so; then, maybe, we can help.

Gary Herron

korean_dave said:
stringa = "hi"
stringb = "hiyoooo"

I'd like it to return -1 when I do:

returnVal = stringa.find(stringb);

Instead, it treats stringa as "hi" and stringb as "hi".

No it doesn't. stringb is "hiyoooo" and it "treats" it that way.
(And just what do you mean by "treat"?)
How do I solve this?

There is nothing to solve. The expression

stringa.find(stringb)

asks if "hi" contains "hiyoooo", and since it does not, it returns a -1 indicating so.

You'll have to describe what you expected and why you expected it before we will be able to see a problem that needs solving. (And then the problem will most likely be in your expectations, not in the find method.)

Gary Herron