    function across multiple sites?

    I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
    now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

    Mary S., Dec 22, 2003

  2. Mary S.

    kayodeok Guest

    " Mary S." <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote in
    news:vqLFb.154230$:

    > Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search
    > and Replace function across multiple sites?
    >
    > I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some
    > calendars that I now have to update by hand every month. Thanks
    > a bunch!

    You might be better off learning a server-side language that supports
    regular expressions (they all do anyway)

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    kayodeok, Dec 22, 2003

  3. Mary S.

    Mary S. Guest

    I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly so I try
    to stay away from them. So, do you know of an html editor that can perform a

    Mary S., Dec 23, 2003
  4. Mary S.

    > I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go
    > quickly so I try to stay away from them.

    Perl was 16 years old last week and PHP shows no sign of dying
    out...infact, PHP 5.0 Beta 3 has just been released.

    I specifically mentioned server-side languages.

    > So, do you know of an
    > html editor that can perform a Search and Replace function
    > across multiple sites?

    I use EditPlus, I know it can do Search and Replace across many
    files/folders, don't know about sites though...and I still think
    your best bet is a regular expression.

    kayodeok, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Mary S. wrote:

    Please don't top-post. look it up to find out why.

    > "kayodeok" <> wrote in message
    >> " Mary S." <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search
    >>> and Replace function across multiple sites?
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some
    >>> calendars that I now have to update by hand every month. Thanks
    >>> a bunch!

    >> You might be better off learning a server-side language that supports
    >> regular expressions (they all do anyway)
    >>

    > I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly
    > so I try to stay away from them. So, do you know of an html editor
    > that can perform a Search and Replace function across multiple sites?

    I use textpad. there are plenty others.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Mary S.

    Leslie Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:49:47 GMT, " Mary S."
    <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
    >function across multiple sites?
    >
    >I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
    >now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

    Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5) will find and
    replace across all open pages. I use it all the time.

    Arcahnophilia 4 is a free program (care ware, actually) and you should
    be able to find it on one or more of the software download sites.
    Don't think it's available from its developer anymore.

    Leslie
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

    Leslie, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Mary S.

    Spartanicus Guest

    " Mary S." <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
    >function across multiple sites?

    Homesite (multi line S&R, regexp option, current file, open files or all
    files in a directory).

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Mary S.

    Mary S. Guest

    I did a search and found InfoRapid. Anyone use that?

    Mary S., Dec 23, 2003
  9. Mary S.

    cwdjr Guest

    Mary asks:"Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a
    Search and Replace function across multiple
    sites?"______________________________________________________I use
    CuteFTP. This not only is a good ftp tool, but it has a good editor
    coupled to it. You can set it up so you just click it on and it
    automatically connects to your favorite server. You can add several
    other servers that can be automatically connected instead, from a
    list, if you so desire. On the left of the screen you have a menu that
    will give you anything on the computer. On the right you can access
    anything in your domain on the selected server. To upload you just
    click a button after selection and that is all. You can use the
    included editor to write new code and store on the HD and/or upload to
    the server. The editor has find and replace. If you want to update a
    file on your server, just a click or two gives you the selected server
    file on the editor. There you can search and replace and modify the
    code in any way you wish. Then with a click or two the edited file
    goes back to the server replacing the old one. I am not certain this
    is exactly what you had in mind, but for me it saves a lot of time. It
    is much faster than having to sign in a control panel and then sign in
    to a file manager, if your host has one. I use the basic 5 XP model
    because it is the least expensive and I had to pay for it myself. They
    have more elaborate versions that a company might buy you. However I
    find the 5 XP does all that I need.

    cwdjr, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Leslie wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:49:47 GMT, " Mary S."
    ><mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote:

    >>Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
    >>function across multiple sites?

    >>I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
    >>now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

    > Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5) will find and
    > replace across all open pages. I use it all the time.

    V5 is where Paul took it to Java, isn't it?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    The Boulder Pledge http://blinkynet.net/spag/boulder.html

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Mary S.

    Hunter Guest

    " Mary S." <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
    > function across multiple sites?
    >
    > I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
    > now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

    Hey Mary - this tool rocks:
    http://www.editplus.com/

    I used to use vi exclusivlely - but this tool converted an old unix guy.

    david

    Hunter, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Mary S.

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Blinky the Shark said:

    >> Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5)

    > V5 is where Paul took it to Java, isn't it?

    yes, a case of making it easier for the developer at the cost to the
    user.

    --
    brucie
    23/December/2003 05:06:06 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 23, 2003
  13. brucie wrote:

    > in post <news:>
    > Blinky the Shark said:

    >>> Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5)

    >> V5 is where Paul took it to Java, isn't it?

    > yes, a case of making it easier for the developer at the cost to the
    > user.

    I preferred pre-5, but that was a while ago, and don't remember any
    specific complaints, other than it seemed slower. And it seems like it
    didn't want to do various browser previews consistently, but that's
    really a vague menory.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2003
  14. In article <DKLFb.154233$>, " Mary S."
    <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> says...
    > "kayodeok" <> wrote in message
    > > " Mary S." <mary.s(no**spam)@houston.rr.com> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search
    > > > and Replace function across multiple sites?
    > > >
    > > > I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some
    > > > calendars that I now have to update by hand every month. Thanks
    > > > a bunch!

    > > You might be better off learning a server-side language that supports
    > > regular expressions (they all do anyway)
    > >

    > I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly so I try
    > to stay away from them.

    C has been around since, what, 1972? How about you?

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Mary S.

    Paul Lutus Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post <news:>
    > Blinky the Shark said:
    >
    >>> Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5)

    >> V5 is where Paul took it to Java, isn't it?

    > yes, a case of making it easier for the developer at the cost to the
    > user.

    Completely rewriting Arachnophilia was most certainly not undertaken to make
    my life easier. I moved Arachnophilia to Java to answer a blizzard of
    complaints that I had created yet another Windows-only program, a "bad
    thing" (a view I have come to agree with). Now I get to hear complaints
    about how the new version is different, requires a Java runtime engine and
    more memory, which annoys those accustomed to the still-available old
    version.

    The new version, apart from being better than the old in nearly all ways, is
    free, and in any case the old version, also free, is still available on my
    site (contrary to the view of one poster to this thread).

    Please stop whining. There really are things worth complaining about in
    life. This is not one of them.

    In any case, Arachnophilia is not the solution to the original inquiry. The
    OP needs to learn server-side programming, as suggested by one poster here.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Lutus, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Mary S.

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Mary S. wrote:

    > I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly so I
    > try to stay away from them.

    1. COBOL. Designed in the 1950s, still in use. Why? Because people still
    need it. There's no way that a well-chosen server-side language is going
    anywhere as long as sites still require it.

    2. You're using English, a language that is constantly changing. You seem
    comfortable with that.

    The suggestion to use server-side methods is actually a very good one. In
    particular because your task extends across more than one site, and because
    the changes are periodic, this is obviously a case where automation is
    completely appropriate.

    On a properly designed site, you would enter data into a database using one
    of many database entry client programs, and the site pages would
    automatically display the data appropriate to the date and time they were
    displayed.

    This is what computers were designed to do -- perform rote, repetitive,
    boring data updates for you, freeing you to think more deeply about your
    life.

    And if you think about it, if you learn server-side methods, even if the
    original language disappeared after 15 years (not likely but for the sake
    of argument), you would still have expended less energy than by rewriting
    all the pages by hand, each and every month.

    Apart from the issue of inevitable typographical errors.

    Please don't top post.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com