Find and Replace Tool

Mary S.

Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
function across multiple sites?

I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

kayodeok

Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search
and Replace function across multiple sites?

I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some
calendars that I now have to update by hand every month. Thanks
a bunch!

You might be better off learning a server-side language that supports
regular expressions (they all do anyway)

Mary S.

I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly so I try
to stay away from them. So, do you know of an html editor that can perform a
Search and Replace function across multiple sites?

kayodeok

I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go
quickly so I try to stay away from them.

Perl was 16 years old last week and PHP shows no sign of dying
out...infact, PHP 5.0 Beta 3 has just been released.

I specifically mentioned server-side languages.
So, do you know of an
html editor that can perform a Search and Replace function
across multiple sites?

I use EditPlus, I know it can do Search and Replace across many
files/folders, don't know about sites though...and I still think
your best bet is a regular expression.

William Tasso

Mary S. wrote:

Please don't top-post. look it up to find out why.
I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly
so I try to stay away from them. So, do you know of an html editor
that can perform a Search and Replace function across multiple sites?

I use textpad. there are plenty others.

Leslie

Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
function across multiple sites?

I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5) will find and
replace across all open pages. I use it all the time.

Arcahnophilia 4 is a free program (care ware, actually) and you should
be able to find it on one or more of the software download sites.
Don't think it's available from its developer anymore.

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

Spartanicus

Mary S. said:
Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
function across multiple sites?

Homesite (multi line S&R, regexp option, current file, open files or all
files in a directory).

cwdjr

Mary asks:"Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a
Search and Replace function across multiple
sites?"______________________________________________________I use
CuteFTP. This not only is a good ftp tool, but it has a good editor
coupled to it. You can set it up so you just click it on and it
automatically connects to your favorite server. You can add several
other servers that can be automatically connected instead, from a
list, if you so desire. On the left of the screen you have a menu that
will give you anything on the computer. On the right you can access
anything in your domain on the selected server. To upload you just
click a button after selection and that is all. You can use the
included editor to write new code and store on the HD and/or upload to
the server. The editor has find and replace. If you want to update a
file on your server, just a click or two gives you the selected server
file on the editor. There you can search and replace and modify the
code in any way you wish. Then with a click or two the edited file
goes back to the server replacing the old one. I am not certain this
is exactly what you had in mind, but for me it saves a lot of time. It
is much faster than having to sign in a control panel and then sign in
to a file manager, if your host has one. I use the basic 5 XP model
because it is the least expensive and I had to pay for it myself. They
have more elaborate versions that a company might buy you. However I
find the 5 XP does all that I need.

Blinky the Shark

Leslie said:
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:49:47 GMT, " Mary S."
Arachnophilia 4 (I don't like the newer version, v5) will find and
replace across all open pages. I use it all the time.

V5 is where Paul took it to Java, isn't it?

Hunter

Mary S. said:
Does someone know of an html editor that can perform a Search and Replace
function across multiple sites?

I'm looking for a tool that will allow me to update some calendars that I
now have to update by hand every month. Thanks a bunch!

Hey Mary - this tool rocks:
http://www.editplus.com/

I used to use vi exclusivlely - but this tool converted an old unix guy.

david

Blinky the Shark

brucie said:
in post <Blinky the Shark said:
yes, a case of making it easier for the developer at the cost to the
user.

I preferred pre-5, but that was a while ago, and don't remember any
specific complaints, other than it seemed slower. And it seems like it
didn't want to do various browser previews consistently, but that's
really a vague menory.

Hywel Jenkins

" Mary S." said:
I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly so I try
to stay away from them.

C has been around since, what, 1972? How about you?

Paul Lutus

brucie said:
yes, a case of making it easier for the developer at the cost to the
user.

Completely rewriting Arachnophilia was most certainly not undertaken to make
my life easier. I moved Arachnophilia to Java to answer a blizzard of
complaints that I had created yet another Windows-only program, a "bad
thing" (a view I have come to agree with). Now I get to hear complaints
about how the new version is different, requires a Java runtime engine and
more memory, which annoys those accustomed to the still-available old
version.

The new version, apart from being better than the old in nearly all ways, is
free, and in any case the old version, also free, is still available on my
site (contrary to the view of one poster to this thread).

Please stop whining. There really are things worth complaining about in
life. This is not one of them.

In any case, Arachnophilia is not the solution to the original inquiry. The
OP needs to learn server-side programming, as suggested by one poster here.

Paul Lutus

Mary said:
I have heard of many languages and they seem to come and go quickly so I
try to stay away from them.

1. COBOL. Designed in the 1950s, still in use. Why? Because people still
need it. There's no way that a well-chosen server-side language is going
anywhere as long as sites still require it.

2. You're using English, a language that is constantly changing. You seem
comfortable with that.

The suggestion to use server-side methods is actually a very good one. In
particular because your task extends across more than one site, and because
the changes are periodic, this is obviously a case where automation is
completely appropriate.

On a properly designed site, you would enter data into a database using one
of many database entry client programs, and the site pages would
automatically display the data appropriate to the date and time they were
displayed.

This is what computers were designed to do -- perform rote, repetitive,
boring data updates for you, freeing you to think more deeply about your
life.

And if you think about it, if you learn server-side methods, even if the
original language disappeared after 15 years (not likely but for the sake
of argument), you would still have expended less energy than by rewriting
all the pages by hand, each and every month.

Apart from the issue of inevitable typographical errors.

Please don't top post.