find datagrid item cell by ID (name)

Don Hans

Mike Moore [MSFT] told me how to refer to a cell in a datagrid by index
(thanks Mike).

Now I need to find the value of a cell in a datagrid by its ID (name). I
have a table where the columns are changing, so it would be much easier if I
could refer to the cell (column) by name

I have tried using the FindControl method of the item, and casting it as a
textbox, but I get nothing as a result.

Is there a quick and dirty way to refer to a cell of a datagrid item by
name?