    machines (TCP/IP isn't good enough - we want to do it at the actual machine
    level where the user can't trick it.)

    TIA.
    UJ, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Just as a side not... MAC can be spoofed as well.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    site: http://www.darkfalz.com

    =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=, Sep 2, 2005

  3. UJ

    Guest

    Essentially, no.

    The MAC address of a packet changes as it travels from network to
    network. If I PING a machine on network B from network A, the MAC
    address of the packet arriving at the machine on network B will be of
    the interface on the router that routed my request from network A to
    network B.

    So you can get the MAC address, but that address will not be of the
    machine sending you the request.
    , Sep 2, 2005
  4. UJ

    Bruce Barker Guest

    if its a local address, and you are using dhcp (or wins), you can use the
    ipaddress to lookup the mac address in the dhcp (or wins) server. over the
    internet or extranet you would have to install an active/x control (which
    would be unsafe) whcih was used to pass the mac address

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Sep 2, 2005
  5. UJ

    John Rivers Guest

    if its any help

    the command "arp -a" prints the ip:mac address table

    C:\Documents and Settings\Nincompoop>arp -a

    Interface: 192.168.1.3 --- 0x5
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.1.1 00-12-f5-5f-a7-63 dynamic

    Interface: 192.168.2.1 --- 0x6