Find Out Which Search Engines Returned the Best Page Content

johngohde

Was it Google? Nope! Google returns were demonstrated to be fixed or
biased towards big commercial sites. If YOU believe in the original
concept of a FREE Internet then Google shouldn't be your first choice
for a good search engine.

I operationally tested the following search engines: AltaVista - A9 -
AOL - Clusty - Gigablast - Google - Lycos - MSN - Teoma - Wisenut and
Yahoo for page content returned on an advanced search.

The research question tested was the task of finding out about the
history of how slave women in the 1830s to 1850s' healed people
naturally with herbs and roots.

This question translated to the following advanced search string.

history "slave women" America Antebellum OR "popular health movement"
healers herbs OR roots

I only looked at the top 3 results returned from each search engine
using the above advanced search string.

AOL and WiseNut failed to work at all. AOL refused to work with my IE
v5 web browser. WiseNut choked on my search string which was too long.

A9, Lycos, and MSN were truly BAD since they referred
www.robertsonsroots.com, a site that is under construction!!! Those
results are absolutely pathetic under any definition of quality page
content.

Google's top site returned was a book from Amazon.com which
operationally demonstrated that their search results are FIXED or
targeted at commerical sites, even on a clearly academic search. Why
am I not surprized?

The BEST page content referred came from Gigablast, AltaVista, and
Clusty. They returned the most promising Page Content results assuming
that you are indeed interested in page content. And, what user isn't
interested in good FREE page content?

Yahoo and Teoma / Ask.com results were too short to be worth a hoot!
Not enough information was provided in order to make any type of an
intelligent decision.

The top 3 most popular search engines: Google, Yahoo, and MSN were
found to suck big time. So, Why NOT make a commitment to check out the
following truly good search engines: Gigablast, AltaVista, and Clusty ?

http://gigablast.com/
http://www.altavista.com/
http://clusty.com/

Who says so? I do. The master and commander of my own web site and
brain.