find textarea number of cols when it is set to 100%

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by arnaud, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. arnaud

    arnaud Guest

    Hi,
    I have an application whose textareas rows automatically resize onFocus
    to the number of lines in the textArea.
    The cols are set to 100% (in a CSS file) in order to always take the
    full browser width

    I use textarea.value.split('\n') to find the number of lines.
    Some lines are longer than the 100% width and they wrap.
    However, wrappeed lines do not contain '\n'. Thus my textarea has less
    lines than what is needed to display it without scroll bars.

    I don't want to use wrap='hard' as the text shall be stored in the DB in
    its original form (even if lines are too long to be displayed without
    wrapping).

    I would like thus to get the number of cols dynamically
    in order to do:
    lines=textarea.value.split('\n');
    realNumberOfLines=0;
    for(i=0; 1<lines.length; i++) {
    realNumberOfLines = realNumberOfLines +
    Math.ceil(lines.length/textarea.cols);
    }
    return realNumberOfLines;

    The problem is that textare.cols returns -1 in mozilla 1.7 and a value
    lower than the reality in IE6.

    Does anybody have an idea on how to achieve that?

    Regards,
    Arnaud.

    arnaud, Jul 20, 2004