find the first thursday from a given month

Guest

HI I have a stored procedure that returns data with a date field in the form
of a DateTime type. I need to place data in variables based on days of the
week starting with the first thursday of the month. So the week would be
week 1= (first thursday of the month through the next wed). So for example
for July 07 the first thursday is july5th so the first week would be thursday
july 5th , friday july 6th, sat july 7th, sun july 8th, mon july 9th, tue
july 10th and wed july 11th. The second week would start with thursday july
12. I think I can do this if I can just get the first thursday of the month
of the date that is read in but not quite sure how to do this? I am also
passing in the day of the week string (mon, tue) ect from the same stored
procedure.
Thanks Paul.

Hans Kesting

[...]

Find out what day the first of that month is, then you know how many
days to add to get to the first thursday.

Hans Kesting

Guest

Hi thanks for the response. Yes I think what I need is the integer value of
the first thursday of the month. I currently have read in the date as a
datetime type. Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?

public static DateTime GetFirstDayInMonth(DateTime dt)
{
DateTime dtRet = new DateTime(dt.Year, dt.Month, 1, 0,0,0); return dtRet;

Mark Rae [MVP]

Hi thanks for the response. Yes I think what I need is the integer value
of
the first thursday of the month. I currently have read in the date as a
datetime type. Just wondering how to get the first day of the month?

DateTime dtmToday = DateTime.Now;
DateTime dtmFirstOfMonth = new DateTime(dtmToday.Year, dtmToday.Month, 1);

Mark Rae [MVP]

Thanks for the replies, it works!

DateTime dtmToday = DateTime.Now;
DateTime dtmFirstOfMonth = new DateTime(dtmToday.Year, dtmToday.Month, 1);
DateTime dtmFirstThursday = dtmFirstOfMonth;
while (dtmFirstThursday.DayOfWeek != DayOfWeek.Thursday)
{
dtmFirstThursday = dtmFirstThursday.AddDays(1);