find version of binder and Linker in g++

Pankaj Bhagat

Hi,
This is in context with compiler and linker

Can someone let me know
1) what is a binder? where is it needed? What does it do in a
compiling process?
-----------------

2) When I have a g++ on linux, does the g++ or gcc have the linker and
binder inbuilt in it?
How can I know which version of linker and binder I am using?

3) I found a linker in /bin/ld in my Red Hat 8.0 box. Is this linker
being used by the g++ (version 3.2) on my system or does the g++ have
an inbuilt linker?
If linker and binder are inbuilt into g++ how do I know their
versions?

Thanks and regards,
Pankaj Bhagat

John M. Gabriele

Pankaj said:
Hi,
This is in context with compiler and linker

The newsgroup you're looking for is gnu.g++.help
Can someone let me know
1) what is a binder? where is it needed? What does it do in a
compiling process?
-----------------

Never heard of a "binder". I think you mean "linker". Though,
you should differentiate between the "link editor" and the runtime
dynamic linker.

Xenos

Pankaj Bhagat said:
Hi,
This is in context with compiler and linker

Can someone let me know
1) what is a binder? where is it needed? What does it do in a
compiling process?
The binder is GNU ADA (GNAT), not C. It satisfies some Ada requirements for
guaranteeing "sane" builds.