FindControl() on a UserControl

Alex Maghen

Hi. I have created a UserControl ("MyUC"). I've put a bunch of instances of
that control on a Page ("Defaul.aspx"). The control works fine.

Now, I want to be able to use "FindControl()" from within my Default.aspx as
follows:

MyUC C = (MyUC)this.FindControl("SomeID");

When I try to run this, I get error:
"The type or namespace name 'MyUC' could not be found (are you missing a
using directive or an assembly reference?)"

This error is on that "FindControl()" line. Also, in the actual VS editor,
in the Default.aspx code, the references to the type "MyUC" *do* show up in
green and seem to be recognized. But when I run it, I get this error.

So what I'm confused about is, how do I refernce this new control type I've
created ("MyUC").

One more note: None of my files (the ASPX pages, MyUC.ascx, etc.) have
namespaces. I just created the files from within VS. Is there some default
namespace I have to use or something?

Much appreciated!

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Regarding on this issue, I have also found your another cross post below:

Subject: FindControl() on ASP.NET UserControl Objects
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

Since some community members and I have updated you there, if you feel
convenient, we can continue to discuss in that thread.

Thanks for your posting!

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead