FindControl to reference nested controls in gridview/listview

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Martin, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hi,

    I have a very frustrating problem that I have researched for countless
    hours to no avail. There are many posts asking very similar things,
    however none usefull in my situation. I am using VS 2005 (ASP 2.0) and
    VB .NET.

    I have a page with a datalist, a gridview and then other data controls,
    nested in that order. This all works great, and produces a nice looking
    page, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reference
    controls on the nested gridview and formviews. The HTML page is similar
    to the below. What would be the correct syntaxt for referencing a
    control on eg. FormView1 from Visual Basic code-behind? How does that
    differ to a control on GridView2?

    Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Perhaps a tutorial
    that discusses these cases? I can post the actual code here, but I
    thought the summary would be more meaningful.

    <asp:datalist>
    <asp:GridView ID="GridView1">
    <asp:Boundfield> </asp:BoundField>
    <asp:Boundfield> </asp:BoundField>
    <asp:TemplateField>
    <asp:label ID="outerGridID">
    <asp:GridView ID="GridView2">
    </asp:GridView>
    <asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1">
    </asp:Repeater>
    <asp:FormView ID="FormView1">
    </asp:FormView>
    </asp:TemplateField>
    </asp:GridView>
    </asp:Datalist>

    Many hopeful regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Hello Martin,

    In this sample I have a DetailsView nested within a GridView which in turn
    nested within a parent GridView.
    http://www.webswapp.com/codesamples/aspnet20/nestedgridviews/

    I access the controls within a GridView using the
    GridView.SelectedRow.FindControl method. As for the datalist you would
    access the controls using the DataListItemEventArgs.Item.FindControl as in
    this sample:
    http://www.societopia.net/Samples/DataList_Hierarchy.aspx

    --
    HTH,
    Phillip Williams

    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbGxpcCBXaWxsaWFtcw==?=, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Martin

    Scott Allen Guest

    On 7 Feb 2006 08:37:12 -0800, "Martin" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Perhaps a tutorial
    >that discusses these cases? I can post the actual code here, but I
    >thought the summary would be more meaningful.

    Hi Martin:

    I have a tutorial on using FindControl written here:

    http://odetocode.com/Articles/116.aspx

    Although the article doesn't specifically talk about FormViews and
    GridViews, the concepts are the same. Most importantly, understanding
    where an INamingContainer exists. I hope you find it helpful.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Feb 8, 2006
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hi Phillip and Scott,

    Many thanks for your help - I think there may be some basic concepts I
    am having trouble with. I thought I might have to do a nested
    FinControl, similar to:

    DataList1.FindControl(GridView1.FindControl("GridView1"))

    But I think CTYPE might be a clue to me.... I will dig into the
    examples given and hopefully that will bring be closer to the answer.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Martin

    shivakalluri

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    How to export the above gridview to excel..???

    HI all,

    I'm looking for the same kind of expandable girdview.
    Thanks for the one u mentioned above.

    Another issue I have is I need to export this gridview to excel along with the child gridviews.
    If it is possible, please help me in this issue.

    Thanks in advance.

    Shiva

    shivakalluri, Apr 10, 2008