Finding all modular extensions to Perl on a system.

dwmyers

I have a box that needs to be replaced, and this is a web server on
which my predecessor (fired, and not on good terms) installed a
plethora of Perl, including some custom modules (I have these) and some
packages, the extent of which I'm not sure.

Is there any way to list all modules installed by CPAN that are not
part of the regular Perl distribution?

Are there tools that could scour a system for all perl and perl
modules, with particular emphasis on modules that extend the language?

Thanks in advance.

David.

Ben Morrow

Quoth (e-mail address removed):
I have a box that needs to be replaced, and this is a web server on
which my predecessor (fired, and not on good terms) installed a
plethora of Perl, including some custom modules (I have these) and some
packages, the extent of which I'm not sure.

Is there any way to list all modules installed by CPAN that are not
part of the regular Perl distribution?

The 'autobundle' command from the CPAN shell.
Are there tools that could scour a system for all perl and perl
modules, with particular emphasis on modules that extend the language?

Well,

perl -le'print for @INC'

will show you where perl looks for modules, so you could start by
looking through all those. Other than that, you're into searching the
filesystem for files matching '*.pm'...

Note that the %INC hash contains the paths to all files required or used
by a Perl program, so you may be able to use that to modify your
programs to print a list...

Ben

Brian McCauley

I have a box that needs to be replaced, and this is a web server on
which my predecessor (fired, and not on good terms) installed a
plethora of Perl, including some custom modules (I have these) and some
packages, the extent of which I'm not sure.

Is there any way to list all modules installed by CPAN that are not
part of the regular Perl distribution?

The ones installed by CPAN will usually be in the 'site' directory.
Are there tools that could scour a system for all perl and perl
modules,

If you are talking only about modules installed in the standard places
(or know all the module search roots) then the first part of the answer
to the FAQ "How do I find which modules are installed on my system?"
will help.

If you don't know all the directories that could be in @INC at runtime
then simply finding all the .pm files on the system should hrelp you
guess them.