Finding an accompanying java book to Objects first with java

Discussion in 'Java' started by SIDSARAN@gmail.com, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I am a second year computer science and engineering student in India.I
    have just started to learn java programming language.I have purchased
    the book "Objects First With Java - A Practical Introduction Using
    BlueJ " by David J Barnes and Michael K├Âlling as the introductory text
    as I found its approach to be most suitable.
    I knew that there were huge areas which are simply not discussed in
    this book , including reflection, JDBC, JSP etc.But still I purchased
    it because what you lose in breadth you gain in depth of understanding
    of object oriented principles.
    So I want to purchase another book to be used as a supplementary
    feature to cover the topics left aside in the objects first java
    book.The books available in the local bookstore here are-
    "Head First Java",
    "Thinking In Java"(Bruce Eckel),
    " Learning Java"(Patrick Niemeyer and Jonathan Knudsen),
    "core java 2"(cornell and horstmann)
    and "The complete reference " (Herb Scheidt)

    All I want to know that which would be the best book out of the above.
    The "Just Java" book is not available here and I also want to know
    whether Head First Java book contains some text about java applets and
    java beans or not,as they are needed in my course study.

    Regards,
    SS.

    , Jan 20, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hi everyone,

    Please cross-post, rather than multi-post.

    (X-post to c.l.j.p./h., w/ f-u to c.l.j.h. only)

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 20, 2007

  3. Hal Rosser Guest

    All I want to know that which would be the best book out of the above.
    The "Just Java" book is not available here and I also want to know
    whether Head First Java book contains some text about java applets and
    java beans or not,as they are needed in my course study.

    There is no "best book".
    But here are some 'good' books for learning java

    http://www.murach.com/books/java.htm

    Hal Rosser, Jan 20, 2007

    Hal Rosser wrote:
    > All I want to know that which would be the best book out of the above.
    > The "Just Java" book is not available here and I also want to know
    > whether Head First Java book contains some text about java applets and
    > java beans or not,as they are needed in my course study.
    >

    > There is no "best book".
    > But here are some 'good' books for learning java
    >
    > http://www.murach.com/books/java.htm

    Can I answer this one?

    I am a big fan of the Head First series of book but according to the
    TOC (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfjava2/toc.pdf) I believe the
    answer to your question is "sort of". They do touch on EJB a bit but
    probably not to the extent that you need. I think Eckel's book goes
    into applets, but to get into beans you may need to get a book on J2EE
    (like Java EE 5 from epress)

    , Jan 21, 2007

    Hal Rosser wrote:
    > All I want to know that which would be the best book out of the above.
    > The "Just Java" book is not available here and I also want to know
    > whether Head First Java book contains some text about java applets and
    > java beans or not,as they are needed in my course study.
    >

    > There is no "best book".
    > But here are some 'good' books for learning java
    >
    > http://www.murach.com/books/java.htm

    Here is the TOC from HFJ

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hfjava2/toc.pdf

    I haven't gotten up to the EJB section yet but they do touch on it a
    bit. You might want to look at Java EE5 by Apress
    http://www.apress.com/ApressCorporate/supplement/1/420/1590594703-3072.pdf

    , Jan 21, 2007
  6. On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 22:06:14 -0800, <> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I am a second year computer science and engineering student in India.I
    > have just started to learn java programming language.I have purchased

    Congratulations! Java is a fantastic programming language, especially to
    get started with Object Oriented Programming. I hope you find it
    enjoyable as well.

    [sNip]
    > All I want to know that which would be the best book out of the above.
    > The "Just Java" book is not available here and I also want to know
    > whether Head First Java book contains some text about java applets and
    > java beans or not,as they are needed in my course study.

    Over the years you will likely wind up with a collection of many books.
    I have at least two dozen each on Assembler, Perl, and Java, plus a few
    other miscellaneous books about HTML, Databases (mostly Oracle and
    PostgreSQL), video game development, etc. I can't think of one particular
    book that was really useful to me (aside from the complete reference for
    Perl), rather I found that each book generally had a lot more to offer in
    certain areas.

    Before you buy a book, however, I recommend you get familiar with Roedy
    Green's web site which has a lot of very useful information about Java,
    along with detailed explanations and well-documented example code:

    Roedy Green's Java and Internet Glossary
    http://www.mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html

    Roedy's web site has been quite useful to me on countless occasions, and
    I hope it will be a nice starting point for you too. Good luck!

    --
    Randolf Richardson -
    The Lumber Cartel, local 42 (Canadian branch)

    Randolf Richardson, Jan 21, 2007

    Hi everyone,

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Regards,

    SS

    , Jan 21, 2007

    hi SIDSA

    i want to know u want oops concepts or corejava or jsp & servlets &
    java beans & jdbc e.t.c in one book

    First we want the oops concepts clearly i prefer java Complete
    reference

    we want the servlets and jsp remaining things i prefer the Head First

    ok first say to me clearly

    , Jan 22, 2007

    wrote:
    > hi SIDSA
    >
    > i want to know u want oops concepts or corejava or jsp & servlets &
    > java beans & jdbc e.t.c in one book
    >
    > First we want the oops concepts clearly i prefer java Complete
    > reference

    > we want the servlets and jsp remaining things i prefer the Head First
    >
    > ok first say to me clearly

    Hello,
    Sir my course structure is like this-

    Unit - III

    Functional Modeling: Data flow diagram, specifying operations,
    constraints, a sample functional model.OMT (object modeling techniques)
    methodologies, examples and case studies to demonstrate methodologies,
    comparisons of methodologies, SA/SD, JSD.

    Unit - IV

    Java Programming: Introduction, Operator, Data types, Variables,
    Methods & Classes, Multithread Programming, I/O, Java Applet.
    Java Library: String Handling, Input/Output exploring Java.io,
    Networking, Applets classes, Event Handling, Introduction to AWT,
    Working with window, Graphics, AWT Controls, Layout Manager and Menus,
    Images, Additional packages.

    Unit - V
    Software Development using Java:
    Java Beans, Java Swing, Java Servlets, Migrating from C++ to java,
    Application of java, Dynamic Billboard Applet, Image Menu: An image
    based menu, Lavatron Applets, Scrabblets, JDBC, Brief functioning of
    upper layer E-mail and their applications.

    I hope now I have made myself clear.

    Regards,
    SS

    , Jan 22, 2007