finding anagram of words

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Peter Kimani, May 3, 2009.

  1. Peter Kimani

    Peter Kimani Guest

    Hey,
    Please help me to solve this problem with an example. Thanks in advance.
    Find anagrams of words e.g. rinse, reins, siren, resin are all anagrams
    one of another.

    use this file of words (you can use any words)
    We will create a signature for a word by spltting it into an array of
    letters, sorting that array, and joining the letters back into a string.

    So the rinse examples all have signature 'einrs'

    My suggested order of operations is:

    define a method signature, which returns a signature string.
    Hints: chomp, String.split(''), Array.join, Array.sort

    Test the method on the rinse examples.

    Create a hash, whose key is to be the signature and whose value is an
    array of the strings with that signature.
    Hint anagrams = Hash.new{ |hash, key| hash[key] = Array.new}

    Test that this works on a short example

    For each word in the file, create its signature, and append the word to
    the array that is the value associated with signature.
    Hint: anagrams[signature], <<

    Report the value arrays containing 4 or more words.
    Hint: Hash.each_value

    Attachments:
    http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/3645/word.txt

    Peter Kimani, May 3, 2009

  2. Peter Kimani

    Tim Hunter Guest

    Peter Kimani wrote:
    > Hey,
    > Please help me to solve this problem with an example. Thanks in advance.

    This sure sounds like homework. Generally, asking for help about
    homework is frowned a little bit by list members, more by homework
    givers who are almost certainly list members as well.

    --
    RMagick: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/

    Tim Hunter, May 3, 2009

  3. Peter Kimani

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Tim Hunter <> wrote:
    > Peter Kimani wrote:
    >
    > This sure sounds like homework. Generally, asking for help about homework is
    > frowned a little bit by list members, more by homework givers who are almost
    > certainly list members as well.

    And if I had been such a homework giver I would give extra negative
    credit for not removing the hints.
    R.

    Robert Dober, May 3, 2009