Finding BCC receipients

tobhamlet

Is there a way to see if a user (having sent you an email) has bcc'd
that email to anyone else? Sun Java WebMail is being used.

Mark
******

Thomas Hawtin

tobhamlet said:
Is there a way to see if a user (having sent you an email) has bcc'd
that email to anyone else? Sun Java WebMail is being used.

It wouldn't be very blind if it were.

IIRC, the actual recipients of an e-mail are contained in an envelope
(not the header). Initially the header will contain all the recipients.
As the mail is routed from server to server, copies will go there
separate ways with recipient divided up. Eventually it will end up in
someones mailbox, without envelope. You can search ietf.org for the
relevant SMTP and POP3 RFCs.

Of course, if you compromised one of the servers on the path, you could
look at the recipients present at that point.

Tom Hawtin

Roedy Green

Is there a way to see if a user (having sent you an email) has bcc'd
that email to anyone else? Sun Java WebMail is being used.

I totally misread your question. The answer is NO. That's why they
call it BLIND cc.

The names of the other recipients are nowhere in the header.