Finding Dependencies

Roedy Green

Eclipse seems to have no trouble figuring dealing with cross package
dependencies during debugging. However, when it comes time to build
and sign jars, I wanted to get a list of files that need to go in the
jar.

I tried many things but gave me a simple list to feed to jar.exe like
this:

om\mindprod\business\Misc.class
com\mindprod\entities\Entities.class
com\mindprod\entities\InsertEntities.class
com\mindprod\entities\StripEntities.class
com\mindprod\filter\AllDirectoriesFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\AllFilesFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\ClamFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\CommandLine.class
com\mindprod\filter\DirListFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\EverythingFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\ExtensionListFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\FileLengthFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\FileListFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\FilenameLengthFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\Filter.class
com\mindprod\filter\MultiFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\RecentFilter.class
com\mindprod\filter\RegexFilter.class
com\mindprod\hunkio\HunkIO.class
com\mindprod\hunkio\PrintWriterPlus.class
com\mindprod\jdisplay\BatCommand.class
com\mindprod\jdisplay\BatComment.class
com\mindprod\jdisplay\BatOperator.class
com\mindprod\jdisplay\BatSemicolon.class
com\mindprod\jdisplay\BatSeparator.class

Eclipse exported jars have no manifest or main class entry.
further they mangle the names of some classes.

The exported ant stuff has so detailed list.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Tim Tyler

Roedy Green said:
Eclipse exported jars have no manifest or main class entry.

....unless you include your own manifest file.

See the "Use existing manifest frome workspace" option on page 3
to do that.
further they mangle the names of some classes.

Did you choose to compress the contents of the exported jar -
on page 2 of the export dialog?

Roedy Green

Did you choose to compress the contents of the exported jar -
on page 2 of the export dialog?

I was wondering what they meant by that -- some sort of obfuscation or
just the normal zip compression. You used to have uncompressed jars.

Roedy Green said:
I was wondering what they meant by that -- some sort of obfuscation or
just the normal zip compression. You used to have uncompressed jars.

I had *hoped* they were talking about squeezing the contents of the jar
file - to reduce download times - along the lines of:

http://schmidt.devlib.org/java/class-file-optimizers.html

However - after investigating the issue - it looks as though they
are simply turning the zip compression code off.

It looks like you still have to get WASD if you want access to IBM's
current class-file-squeezing code.