Finding email threads with mailbox.mbox

Skye

Hello,

I'm working on a script to read large numbers of mail list archives in
mbox format and dump them into a database. I was happy to find
mailbox.mbox because I like writing Python =)

However I need to find email threads (replies, quoted test, Re:
subjects etc) and it doesn't look like anything in the standard Python
library will help me with that.

I suppose I could yank some code from Mailman's pipermail or something
for identifying discussion threads, but I was wondering if anyone had
any other suggestions before I reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Skye

Dennis Lee Bieber

However I need to find email threads (replies, quoted test, Re:
subjects etc) and it doesn't look like anything in the standard Python
library will help me with that.
There are probably two methods: either match on subject line
(stripping "re:" markers), or create a list of message IDs cross
referenced to in-reply-to and references headers.