Finding simple Java class for implementation of text recognition

Discussion in 'Java' started by cumlibrisnonsolus@gmail.com, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hello you all.

    I am in a hobby project and would need a easy-to-use Java class or
    component I can use more or less out of the box in my project for
    simple text recognition. I want to compare one or more pieces of text
    with one or more pieces of text to get some sort of indication if (1)
    the information is auto-generated and (2) the writer is the same
    person.

    Do not look for a high probability, have from a small to medium amount
    of text material to work with, just need something that can raise a
    red flag and merit human attention in some cases.

    Any hints on where I should go looking?

    As a small side-question, I'd also appriciate info on similar open-
    source class/component to scramble (or rather perform simple
    encryption).

    /Thanks

    , Jul 31, 2008

  2. ssarimura Guest

    Hi there,

    I am also curious about text recognition but as far as i know, there
    is not any API for it.. However, i have seen some examples(a bit
    pricey though) and i thought it may help you figuring out the way..

    I suggest to look at this page first, hope it helps;
    http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=644002&messageID=3814156

    have a nice day!
    Salim.

    ssarimura, Jul 31, 2008

  3. On Jul 31, 10:44 pm, wrote:
    > Hello you all.
    >
    > I am ...

    ..a multi-poster? Way to make enemies and dis-influence
    people!

    (X-post to c.l.j.p./h., w/ f-u to c.l.j.p. only)

    --
    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 31, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > Hello you all.
    >
    > I am in a hobby project and would need a easy-to-use Java class or
    > component I can use more or less out of the box in my project for
    > simple text recognition. I want to compare one or more pieces of text
    > with one or more pieces of text to get some sort of indication if (1)
    > the information is auto-generated and (2) the writer is the same
    > person.
    >
    > Do not look for a high probability, have from a small to medium amount
    > of text material to work with, just need something that can raise a
    > red flag and merit human attention in some cases.
    >
    > Any hints on where I should go looking?
    >
    > As a small side-question, I'd also appriciate info on similar open-
    > source class/component to scramble (or rather perform simple
    > encryption).
    >
    > /Thanks

    I have tried using tesseract-ocr , a project hosted at code.google . I
    installed it on a linux box and called it using runtime.exec from Java
    but the results of tesseract-ocr were pretty bad. I suspect it was me; I
    probably needed to look more into configuration (training and testing).
    I would suggest looking into it if you do not mind invoking it through
    exec.

    Abhijat Vatsyayan, Jul 31, 2008
  5. wrote:
    > Hello you all.
    >
    > I am in a hobby project and would need a easy-to-use Java class or
    > component I can use more or less out of the box in my project for
    > simple text recognition. I want to compare one or more pieces of text
    > with one or more pieces of text to get some sort of indication if (1)
    > the information is auto-generated and (2) the writer is the same
    > person.
    >
    > Do not look for a high probability, have from a small to medium amount
    > of text material to work with, just need something that can raise a
    > red flag and merit human attention in some cases.
    >
    > Any hints on where I should go looking?
    >
    > As a small side-question, I'd also appriciate info on similar open-
    > source class/component to scramble (or rather perform simple
    > encryption).
    >
    > /Thanks

    What do you mean by auto-generated? Do you mean machine generated as
    opposed to hand-written? I am also confused about what you mean by
    "writer is the same person". Are you trying to do handwriting
    recognition to figure out who the writer is (or figure out all text
    written by the same person)?

    Abhijat

    Abhijat Vatsyayan, Jul 31, 2008