    Does anybody know some command or a tool in Visual C++ to detect slow parts?
    any help is appreciated
    alex
    Alex, Feb 3, 2006

  2. Alex

    Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > hi there,
    > in my program (made with Visual C++) is one subroutine that slows down
    > the entire programm quite a bit. I would like to know, which part of
    > this subroutine is causing this and why.
    > Does anybody know some command or a tool in Visual C++ to detect slow parts?
    > any help is appreciated
    > alex

    You need a profiler and no, VC++ does not have one. There are several
    that will work with VC++ generated programs though.
    , Feb 3, 2006

  3. Alex

    mlimber Guest

    Alex wrote:
    > hi there,
    > in my program (made with Visual C++) is one subroutine that slows down
    > the entire programm quite a bit. I would like to know, which part of
    > this subroutine is causing this and why.
    > Does anybody know some command or a tool in Visual C++ to detect slow parts?
    > any help is appreciated
    > alex

    You want to use your profiler. See your documentation (e.g.,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore98/HTML/_core_profile.asp),
    or ask in a Microsoft-specific newsgroup, such as those listed here:

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Alex

    mlimber Guest

    wrote:
    > Alex wrote:
    > > hi there,
    > > in my program (made with Visual C++) is one subroutine that slows down
    > > the entire programm quite a bit. I would like to know, which part of
    > > this subroutine is causing this and why.
    > > Does anybody know some command or a tool in Visual C++ to detect slow parts?
    > > any help is appreciated
    > > alex

    > You need a profiler and no, VC++ does not have one. There are several
    > that will work with VC++ generated programs though.

    <OT>
    Some versions of VC++ do have a profiler. See this link:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ccore98/HTML/_core_profiling.3a_.overview.asp
    </OT>

    Cheers! --M
    mlimber, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Alex wrote:
    > in my program (made with Visual C++) is one subroutine that slows down
    > the entire programm quite a bit. I would like to know, which part of
    > this subroutine is causing this and why.
    > Does anybody know some command or a tool in Visual C++ to detect slow
    > parts?

    If you have to be VC++ specific, please go to 'microsoft.public.vc.*'
    newsgroup hierarchy. Here we talk C++ _language_.

    That said, the tools to check/explore a program's performance are called
    "profilers". They are [usually] extremely platform-specific, so the best
    place to ask about them would be the newsgroup for your platform,
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

    Now, when it comes to primitive profiling, you could implement something
    yourself. See what tools available to you on your platform to read and
    compare _time_. 'clock()' is usually the function to use, alas, on MS
    Windows it's not implemented correctly, IIRC.

    Sometimes it is possible to deduce the performance bottlenecks just by
    looking at the code. If your function is not too big, post it here and we
    could try helping you. Without the code it's impossible, you understand.

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Alex

    Henryk Guest

    Alex schrieb:

    > hi there,
    > in my program (made with Visual C++) is one subroutine that slows down
    > the entire programm quite a bit. I would like to know, which part of
    > this subroutine is causing this and why.
    > Does anybody know some command or a tool in Visual C++ to detect slow parts?
    > any help is appreciated
    > alex

    Try Devpartner Profiler Community Edition (for free).
    Henryk, Feb 4, 2006