Finding tcltk when building Python on Windows

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris, Sep 11, 2008.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi,

    I'm trying to build Python on Windows using Visual Studio 2005. I have
    no trouble compiling tcl/tk 8.5, but when I subsequently build Python
    it doesn't find tcl/tk (I get a message about being unable to find
    tcl.h).

    I'm using the source distribution of Python 2.5.2, not the svn
    version. I'm trying to follow the instructions in PCbuild8/readme.txt,
    but I'm not sure I understand them correctly. Here is the part of the
    text that I think I might have misunderstood:

    """
    The following subprojects [including Tkinter] will generally NOT build
    out of the box. They wrap code Python doesn't control, and you'll
    need to download the base packages first and unpack them into siblings
    of PCbuilds's parent directory; for example, if your PCbuild is
    ........\dist\src\PCbuild\, unpack into new subdirectories of dist\.
    """

    If I have extracted the Python source archive to c:\Python-2.5.2\,
    then my understanding is that I should extract the tcl and tk source
    archives to c:\tcl-8.5.4\ and c:\tk-8.5.4\, respectively. Then, when I
    build and install tcl and tk, their output is c:\tcltk\ (because the
    instructions say to pass "INSTALLDIR=..\..\tcltk" when building). This
    is then supposed to be found when I build Python. But tcl/tk isn't
    found, so I assume I didn't do the right thing here.

    I feel a bit stupid! I also can't find any explicit instructions for
    building Python with tcl/tk support using Visual Studio by searching
    the web.

    Thanks for any help,
    Chris

    Chris, Sep 11, 2008