Finding the leftmost pixel in a piece of text when using GDI+

Nathan Sokalski

I am using GDI+ to generate buttons in my application. Because I want the
left and right edges of the buttons to be a certain number of pixels from
the start and end of the text, I need to know (or be able to calculate) the
left and rightmost pixels of the text. However, this is a problem because
not all letters have their leftmost pixel at the same X position. For
example, when using the following font:

Dim buttonfont As New Font("Arial", 19, FontStyle.Bold, GraphicsUnit.Point)

and using the following lines to draw text:

For i As Integer = 65 To 90

testgraphics.DrawString(Chr(i), buttonfont, Brushes.White, 0, 35 + (i - 64)
* 20)

Next

The characters 'A' and 'J' start 2 pixels farther to the left than most
other characters (there are also a couple other characters that are offset
by 1 or 2 pixels). Is there any easy way to determine what X position the
first and last pixel of a character is at? Because this depends on the font,
the only way to do it manually would be to test each pixel. Is there a
method that can be used to do this? Thanks.