Finding Value of Dynamic Control in MasterPage/ContentPage System

dawg1998

I have a page that creates dynamic textboxes based on the number of
fields a user chooses to fill out.

This process worked great when the page was standalone. However, when I
move to a Content/MasterPage setup, the MasterPage Form seems to be
interfering with the ability of my code to retrieve the value in the
dynamic control.

Are there any ideas on why this is happening or how to work-around the
problem? What is the syntax to find a dynamic control within a form
established on a Master Page? The two methods I have tried so far
always gets me the "Object reference not set to an instance of an
object" error.

A quick example is below. The name of the form established in the
MasterPage is "frmForm". I must place the form tags within the
MasterPage because of the presence of a SiteMap menu control that
resides in the MasterPage.

<%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="~/Sys_Masters/MasterPage.master"
title="Dynamic Control in Master Page" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="cphContent"
Runat="Server">

<script runat="server">

Sub Page_Load()

Dim txtbxTextBox As New TextBox()
txtbxTextBox.ID = "txtbxTextBox"
phPlaceHolder.Controls.Add(txtbxTextBox)

End Sub

Sub btnSubmit_OnClick(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs)

Dim txtbxTextBox As New TextBox()

'// Neither of the two methods below finds the control
'txtbxTextBox =
Master.FindControl("frmForm").FindControl("phPlaceHolder").FindControl("txtbxTextBox")
'txtbxTextBox = CType(Master.FindControl("frmForm").FindControl
"phPlaceHolder").FindControl("txtbxExample"), TextBox)

lblValue.Text = txtbxTextBox.Text

End Sub

</script>

<asp:Label ID="lblTitle" runat="server" Text="Dynamic Control in Master
Page Test: "/>
<asp:placeHolder ID="phPlaceHolder" runat="server"/>
<asp:Button ID="btnSubmit" runat="server" OnClick="btnSubmit_OnClick"
Text="Submit" />
<asp:Label ID="lblValue" runat="server" />

</asp:Content>

Simon

Oops, I realized this morning that the page I was having that problem
in had never been run so I didn't realize that i was talking out of my
ass since that solution doesn't work.
What ended up working was first getting the ContentPlaceHolder control
and then using findcontrol from there:
ContentPlaceHolder mainContent;
mainContent = (ContentPlaceHolder)Master.FindControl("MainFormHolder");

DropDownList ddl =
(DropDownList)mainContent.FindControl("controlname");

That one ought to work for you, sorry about the idiocy :)
Simon

Joined
May 31, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dynamic Fields with Master page

Hi....

I am also finding the same problem.but unfortunately this solution doesn't work for me.
Please anybody tell me how to solve this.
I have same Dynamic fields created with web content form.But i am not able to find the dynamically created control.
I have used two methods but both failed..
I have taken one placeholder which is having id "PlaceHolder2"
This is the code what i have tried.

First Method:
Dim mainContent As ContentPlaceHolder
mainContent = Master.FindControl("PlaceHolder2") // i am not able to find this placeholder.mainContent is "Nothing"
Dim tbtemp As TextBox
tbtemp = mainContent.FindControl(strControlName)

Second Method:
Dim tbtemp As TextBox
tbtemp = Page.FindControl(strControlName)
strValue. = Request.Form(strControlName)

Please help me...what i am missing here????
Also note that this methods work with web form without master page.....