Fine-tune/improve Parametized query in asp?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Guest, Jul 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I am trying to improve the robustness and elegance of my parametized sql
    statements in ASP 3.0 as they get passed to the sql server SP.

    Could anyone tell me if there are weaknessess in the way I have written the
    following code? I have included both the asp code and the sql stored
    proceducre to tie things togoether....I appreciate any advice on this. It
    basically is a application to manage static news stories on our site by
    tracking and organising the meta data in a table.

    Many thanks for you comments.

    ASP PARAMERT QUERY
    ----------------------------

    If oRS.eof then
    '// SAFE TO INSERT STORY....

    CREATE Procedure spr_AddStory

    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryTitle", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,100,pStoryTitle)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryURL", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,150,pStoryURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryBlurb", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,1200, PStoryURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryBrokerID int", adInteger,
    adParamInput,4,pStoryBrokerID)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryCompanyID int", adInteger,
    adParamInput,4,pStoryCompanyID)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryCategoryID int",
    adInteger, adParamInput,4,pStoryCategoryID)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryDeptID int", adInteger,
    adParamInput,4,pStoryDeptID)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryKeyword1", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,50,pStoryKeyword1)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryKeyword2", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,50,pStoryKeyword2)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryKeyword3", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,50,pStoryKeyword3)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("RelatedURL1", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,150,pRelatedURUL1)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("RelatedURL2", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,150,pRelatedURUL1)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("RelatedURL3", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,150,pRelatedURUL1)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryDate datetime,
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryImageURL", adVarChar,
    adParamInput,150,pStoryImageURL)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oCmd.CreateParameter("StoryBLN int", adInteger,
    adParamInput,4,pStoryBLN)

    set oReturn = oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger, adParamOutput)
    oCmd.Parameters.append oReturn
    oCmd.execute()

    '//RESULT...
    if oReturn.value=-1 then
    Response.write "FAILURE: Insert statement could not be carried out"
    response.end

    else

    Response.write "SUCCESS: Insert statement was successfull"

    End if

    SQL SERVER STORED PROCEDURE

    CREATE Procedure spr_AddStory

    @StoryTitle varchar(100),
    @StoryURL varchar(150),
    @StoryBlurb varchar(1200),
    @StoryBrokerID int,
    @StoryCompanyID int,
    @StoryCategoryID int,
    @StoryDeptID int,
    @StoryKeyword1 varchar(50),
    @StoryKeyword2 varchar(50),
    @StoryKeyword3 varchar(50),
    @RelatedURL1 varchar(150),
    @RelatedURL2 varchar(150),
    @RelatedURL3 varchar(150),
    @StoryDate datetime,
    @StoryImageURL varchar(150),
    @StoryBLN int

    AS

    INSERT INTO Story (StoryTitle, StoryURL, StoryBlurb, StoryBrokerID
    ,
    StoryCompanyID, StoryCategoryID, StoryDeptID, StoryKeyword1, StoryKeyword2,
    StoryKeyword3, RelatedURL1, RelatedURL2, RelatedURL3, StoryDate,
    StoryImageURL, StoryBLN)
    VALUES
    (@StoryTitle,@StoryURL,@StoryBlurb,@StoryBrokerID,@StoryCompanyID,@StoryCategoryID,@StoryDeptID,@StoryKeyword1,@StoryKeyword2,@StoryKeyword3,
    @RelatedURL1,@RelatedURL2,@RelatedURL3,@StoryDate,@StoryImageURL,@StoryBLN)

    GO
    Guest, Jul 8, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I am trying to improve the robustness and elegance of my parametized
    > sql statements in ASP 3.0 as they get passed to the sql server SP.
    >
    > Could anyone tell me if there are weaknessess in the way I have
    > written the following code?

    Perhaps it would help if you tell us what problem you're trying to solve.
    Since you need to read the value of the return parameter, this is the most
    efficient way to execute your procedure.

    A less efficient way, which is never recommended, is to use
    cmd.Parameters.Refresh
    instead of building the Parameters collection yourself. But since this
    requires an extra trip to the database, it is not something you want to do.

    >I have included both the asp code and the sql stored
    > proceducre to tie things togoether....I appreciate any advice on
    > this. It basically is a application to manage static news stories on our
    > site
    > by tracking and organising the meta data in a table.
    >
    > Many thanks for you comments.
    >

    > ASP PARAMERT QUERY
    > ----------------------------
    >

    > If oRS.eof then
    > '// SAFE TO INSERT STORY....
    >
    > CREATE Procedure spr_AddStory

    ? Is this a copy/paste error?

    <snip>
    > set oReturn = oCmd.CreateParameter("u_id", adInteger, adParamOutput)
    > oCmd.Parameters.append oReturn

    The Return parameter needs to be the FIRST parameter appended to the
    Parameters collection. And the direction constant should be
    adParamReturnValue, not adParamOutput. Output parameters are different from
    Return parameters. Read this to see the difference:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general/msg/2c935bd7c531d82b

    I'm not clear about why you need to read the Return parameter value. If
    there is an error during the insert, it will be passed back to the
    Connection object which will raise a vbscript error. Without the requirement
    to read the return parameter value, your procedure can be executed more
    simply (and efficiently) by:

    on error resume next
    conn.spr_AddStory,pStoryTitle, ..., pStoryBLN
    if err<>0 and conn.errors.count=0 then
    'success
    else
    'failure
    end if

    See http://tinyurl.com/jyy0

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 8, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Wow, Bob...I have other questions relating to your last thread but for the
    moment I just want to focus on this app of yours:

    http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear

    Whoa...that is cool!

    This is what it spat out for me (See below)...but...I still trying to figure
    out whether or not to use either a:

    1. Return value
    2. Output value

    I bascially just want to confirm that the insert statement is done correctly
    and possibly return the unique identifier...which is the correct route?
    Dim cmd, param

    Set cmd=server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
    With cmd
    .CommandType=adcmdstoredproc
    .CommandText = "spr_AddStory"
    set .ActiveConnection=cnSQL
    set param = .createparameter("@RETURN_VALUE", adInteger,
    adParamReturnValue, 0)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryTitle", adVarChar, adParamInput, 100,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryURL", adVarChar, adParamInput, 150,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryBlurb", adVarChar, adParamInput, 1200,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryBrokerID", adInteger, adParamInput, 0,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryCompanyID", adInteger, adParamInput,
    0, [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryCategoryID", adInteger, adParamInput,
    0, [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryDeptID", adInteger, adParamInput, 0,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryKeyword1", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    50, [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryKeyword2", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    50, [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryKeyword3", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    50, [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@RelatedURL1", adVarChar, adParamInput, 150,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@RelatedURL2", adVarChar, adParamInput, 150,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@RelatedURL3", adVarChar, adParamInput, 150,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryDate", adDBTimeStamp, adParamInput, 0,
    [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryImageURL", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    150, [put value here])
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryBLN", adInteger, adParamInput, 0, [put
    value here])
    .parameters.append param
    .execute ,,adexecutenorecords
    end with
    Guest, Jul 8, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Wow, Bob...I have other questions relating to your last thread but
    > for the moment I just want to focus on this app of yours:
    >
    > http://www.thrasherwebdesign.com/index.asp?pi=links&hp=links.asp&c=&a=clear
    >
    > Whoa...that is cool!

    Thanks. You have the source code so you can customize it if you don't like
    the names I used for the variables, etc.

    > This is what it spat out for me (See below)...but...I still trying to
    > figure out whether or not to use either a:
    >
    > 1. Return value
    > 2. Output value
    >
    > I bascially just want to confirm that the insert statement is done
    > correctly and possibly return the unique identifier...which is the
    > correct route?

    I did not see where you were returning a unique identifier in your original
    procedure. Are you planning to rewrite the procedure? Are you asking for
    help with that?

    Because the value being returned is data, rather than a status or error
    code, I would use an output parameter. Some would recommend returning it via
    a SELECT statement, but I'm a little biased against using a recordset when I
    have no need for cursor functionality.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 8, 2005
  5. Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > on error resume next
    > conn.spr_AddStory,pStoryTitle, ..., pStoryBLN

    Well that's just wrong. it should say:

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 8, 2005

    Guest Guest

    > conn.spr_AddStory pStoryTitle, ..., pStoryBLN

    Ok. I have revamped my original code to include your comments and direction.
    However, I am picking up the following error:

    ADODB.Command (0x800A0BB9)
    Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
    conflict with one another.
    /catamaranco/story/Process.asp, line 63

    ....which refers to this line: .CommandType=adcmdstoredproc

    '// INCOMING FORM ITEMS
    '-----------------------

    pStoryTitle = "My First Story"
    pStoryURL = "http://www.catamarans.com/newsletter/staley/2005/07/"
    pStoryBlurb = http://www.catamarans.com/newsletter/staley/2005/07/
    pStoryBrokerID = "After a year of searching, Lei Ellen and Paul Beck found
    their dreamboat. The Becks' new yacht is a beautiful '02 Voyage 440."
    pStoryCompanyID = 1
    pStoryCategoryID = 1
    pStoryDeptID = 1
    pStoryKeyword1 = "Norseman"
    pStoryKeyword2 = "43"
    pStoryKeyword3 = "Sailing"
    pStoryDate = "#05/23/2005#"
    pStoryImageURL = "http://www.catamarans.com/images/SWCUA.jpg"
    pStoryBLN = 1
    PStoryModel="Lagoon"
    pStorySize="60"
    pYear ="1999"

    '//INSERT FORM VARIABLES...
    '--------------------------
    Dim cmd, param

    Set cmd=server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

    With cmd
    .CommandType=adcmdstoredproc '//Line 63
    .CommandText = "spr_AddStory"

    Set GetConnection = "driver={SQL
    Server};server=_.maximumasp.com;DB=_pw;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=_pw"

    set .ActiveConnection=cnSQL
    set param = .createparameter("@RETURN_VALUE", adInteger, adParamOutput, 0)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryTitle", adVarChar, adParamInput, 100,
    pStoryTitle)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryURL", adVarChar, adParamInput, 150,
    pStoryURL)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryBlurb", adVarChar, adParamInput, 1200,
    pStoryBlurb)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryBrokerID", adInteger, adParamInput, 0,
    pStoryBrokerID)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryCompanyID", adInteger, adParamInput,
    0, pStoryCompanyID)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryCategoryID", adInteger, adParamInput,
    0, pStoryCategoryID)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryDeptID", adInteger, adParamInput, 0,
    pStoryDeptID)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryKeyword1", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    50, pStoryKeyword1)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryKeyword2", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    50, pStoryKeyword2)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryKeyword3", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    50, pStoryKeyword3)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryModel", adVarChar, adParamInput, 150,
    pStoryModel)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StorySize", adVarChar, adParamInput, 10,
    pStorySize)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryYear", adVarChar, adParamInput, 10,
    pStoryYear)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryDate", adDBTimeStamp, adParamInput, 0,
    pStoryDate)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryImageURL", adVarChar, adParamInput,
    150, pStoryImageURL)
    .parameters.append param
    set param = .createparameter("@StoryBLN", adInteger, adParamInput, 0,
    pStoryBLN)
    .parameters.append param
    .execute ,,adexecutenorecords
    end with

    on error resume next
    conn.spr_AddStory
    StoryTitle,StoryURL,StoryBlurb,StoryBrokerID,StoryCompanyID,StoryCategoryID,StoryDeptID,StoryKeyword1,StoryKeyword2,StoryKeyword3,StoryDate,StoryImageURL,StoryBLN,StoryModel,StorySize,StoryYear

    if err<>0 and conn.errors.count=0 then
    response.write "success"
    else
    response.write "failure"
    end if
    Guest, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Where do you define adcmdstoredproc ?

    http://www.aspfaq.com/2112

    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 8, 2005
  8. wrote:
    >> conn.spr_AddStory pStoryTitle, ..., pStoryBLN
    >>

    > Ok. I have revamped my original code to include your comments and
    > direction. However, I am picking up the following error:
    >
    > ADODB.Command (0x800A0BB9)
    > Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are
    > in conflict with one another.
    > /catamaranco/story/Process.asp, line 63
    >
    > ...which refers to this line: .CommandType=adcmdstoredproc

    What Aaron said. The constant needs do be defined somewhere. Where are you
    defining the other constants you're using (adParam..., etc)?
    Are you using the type library? Maybe you're using the wrong one.

    <snip>

    > Set GetConnection = "driver={SQL
    > Server};server=_.maximumasp.com;DB=_pw;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=_pw"

    Why are you using the ODBC driver rather than the native OLE DB provider
    (SQLOLEDB)? See www.connectionstrings.com or www.carlprothman.net for the
    SQLOLEDB connection string to use.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jul 8, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Ok, that was stupid of me. Thank you.

    I am now picking up a connection error:

    '//INSERT FORM VARIABLES...
    '--------------------------
    Dim cmd, param

    Set cmd=server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")

    With cmd
    .CommandType=adcmdstoredproc
    .CommandText = "spr_AddStory"

    cnSQL = "driver={SQL
    Server};server=MAXSQL008.maximumasp.com;DB=V032U10DUW;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=cU3QmtgDyzWJ"
    '//Line 69

    Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8)
    Object required: 'cnSQL.ActiveConnection'
    /catamaranco/story/Process.asp, line 69
    Guest, Jul 8, 2005
  10. > Microsoft VBScript runtime (0x800A01A8)
    > Object required: 'cnSQL.ActiveConnection'
    > /catamaranco/story/Process.asp, line 69

    Sheesh. Are you grabbing bits and fragments of code from all over the place
    and just throwing them together? The following is a string and should not
    be part of a SET assignment:

    Set GetConnection = "driver={SQL
    Server};server=_.maximumasp.com;DB=_pw;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=_pw"

    I assume you meant

    Set cnSQL = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    cnSQL.open "driver={SQL
    Server};server=_.maximumasp.com;DB=_pw;UID=V032U10DUW;PWD=_pw"
    ' then...
    Set cmd.ActiveConnection = cnSQL

    conn is the traditional name for a connection object in ASP, and you'll find
    that most people use it (any other name is slightly more cumbersome to
    read/analyze, IMHO) and you should certainly be using SQLOLEDB instead of
    the SQL Server driver, see http://www.aspfaq.com/2126
    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 8, 2005

    Guest Guest

    Apologies....I do seem to struggle with connection strings. I tend to stick
    to one method and get a wee bit confused when tweaking.

    I have it working now....thank you for your help.

    - Jason

    Guest, Jul 8, 2005