Fir Question

BarNash

Hi all

I am trying to learn a FIR vhdl model and I want to ask the following :

1> The MULTIPLYER architecture is based on the

RESULT <= signed(input) * signed(coefficient)

What is the signed function needed for ?

2> The data from the ADC how is it to be formed ? The leftmost bit is sign
bit ?

Thanks
Bar Nash

Tricky

Hi all

I am trying to learn a FIR vhdl model and I want to ask the following :

1> The MULTIPLYER architecture is based on the

RESULT <= signed(input) * signed(coefficient)

What is the signed function needed for ?

2> The data from the ADC how is it to be formed ? The leftmost bit is sign
bit ?

Thanks
Bar Nash

VHDL is strongly typed, so the signed function you see is just a
conversion function, probably from std_logic_vector, into a signed
type. It wont actually change any of the data. It also implies that
RESULT is also of signed type. Typing gives meaning to words - a
std_logic_vector is just a collection of bits - it could be a bus of
control bits or a data word. The whole point of the signed/unsigned
types is it gives meaning to the bus in the code, making it easier for
the engineer to understand whats going on.

As for the data from the ADC, it will all depend on what ADC it is and
whatever it written in the data sheet about what values it outputs.

BarNash

"As for the data from the ADC, it will all depend on what ADC it is and
whatever it written in the data sheet about what values it outputs."

My question is really :What format the ADC output should have
since the multiplier treats it as signed ?

Thanks
Bar Nash

Tricky

"As for the data from the ADC, it will all depend on what ADC it is and
   whatever it written in the data sheet about what values it outputs."

My question is really  :What format the ADC output should  have
                                   since the multiplier treats it as signed ?

Thanks
Bar Nash

hardware multipliers dont really care - they can do unsigned and
signed arithmatic. ADC choice is down to whatever you want it to be.
If the output is unsigned and you really need signed, you can just put
a '0' on the front of it and make it a signed number.

BarNash

Thanks
BN

"Tricky" <[email protected]> ëúá