    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Curtis

    Curtis Kam, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Curtis Kam

    Curtis Kam Guest

    Or ask it in a simply way,
    does Web Serivce can act as a middle-ware between two applications?

    "Curtis Kam" <> wrote in message
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I'm now using TCP socket using user-defined protocol to communicate

    between
    > two machines (server and client). But now, I'd like to introduce a Web
    > Service in my server-side. If my client software subscribes the web

    service,
    > does it have the flexibilty to fire a event to server? That is, is there

    any

    Curtis Kam, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Curtis Kam

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Curtis,

    As of now, think of the Web Service stack much like you would a simple RPC
    stack. In a SOAP based web service, the client can make a request to the
    service. It can do this and wait for a response. It can do this and not
    wait for a response. If it waits for a response, the thread that is
    servicing the connection is blocked until the response is received
    (response on same connection).

    In a classical "eventing" view of the world, a caller can raise an event (a
    method call) asynchronously (e.g. not wait for a response). This is
    sometimes known as a one-way call. In this regard, a non-blocking, no
    response web service call (One Way) behaves much like an event, and this is
    easy for a caller/client to do.

    More problematic today is the server side event where a client establishes
    a subscription to an event, and provides an address where notifications can
    be sent to wheneven need be. Today, there is no part of the ASP.NET stack
    that provides a direct analog to this ability, since the client would have
    to implement an addressible SOAP endpoint. This can be problematic on
    smaller clients, and in situations involving firewalls.

    One can approximate this right now by providing a caching ability on a
    service side, and have the client periodically poll for notifications via a
    same-connection response web method call that goes to the server, checks
    for notificaitons, and returns any undelivered notifications and then marks
    them as delivered.

    In Indigo, the code-name for the next generation web service stack, a spec
    called WS-Eventing has been written to provide a more traditional eventing
    way of programming. The caller will need to either be active to receive an
    event, or participate in a "turn on the client" query that checks for
    outstanding notifications that could not be delivered normally.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation

    Dan Rogers, Nov 15, 2004