Firedrop, New Docs, easy to use python blog software...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ron Stephens, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Ron Stephens

    Ron Stephens Guest

    I have posted to my blog at http://www.awaretek.com/weblog/ a new Mini
    How-To set of docs, written to walk a new user through the
    installation, set up and use of Hans Nowak's open source blog
    software, firedrop2, which is of course written in Python.

    OK, I know there is a lot of blog software out there written in
    Python, but after a little more than one month of using it, I think
    Firedrop can compete on ease of use, ease of learning, and intuitive,
    fun use.

    I know that I have put an awful lot of thought and work into writing
    the Mini How-To with a new user in mind. I hope it is of use to
    someone...although it is my first effort at wrting "docs", I know how
    easy it is for a brainless, clueless newbie to get confused (being
    myself the prototypical BCN), so I put some thought into how to write
    in what I hope is a very understandable manner.

    It would be great if someone could let me know how I did..even its to
    say that I failed miserably ;-)))

    Ron Stephens

    Ron Stephens, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Ron Stephens

    Paul Rubin Guest

    (Ron Stephens) writes:
    > OK, I know there is a lot of blog software out there written in
    > Python, but after a little more than one month of using it, I think
    > Firedrop can compete on ease of use, ease of learning, and intuitive,
    > fun use.

    Why on earth does this need wxPython? Why can't it just use a web
    front end?

    Paul Rubin, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Ron Stephens

    Chris Stiles Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> writes:
    > (Ron Stephens) writes:
    >> OK, I know there is a lot of blog software out there written in
    >> Python, but after a little more than one month of using it, I think
    >> Firedrop can compete on ease of use, ease of learning, and intuitive,
    >> fun use.

    > Why on earth does this need wxPython? Why can't it just use a web
    > front end?

    Because it's a 'client side' based piece of blog software. That is to say the
    intelligence is on the client end, and it publishes via FTP (and probably
    others) to a website which has nothing more running on in than a normal web
    server.

    --
    regards, chris

    Chris Stiles, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Ron Stephens

    Ron Stephens Guest

    Paul Rubin <http://> wrote in message news:

    > Why on earth does this need wxPython? Why can't it just use a web
    > front end?

    Hmm, um, well, yes, now that you mention it, I guess it could just use
    a web browser as a front end. After all, content produced by Firedrop
    is meant to be viewed on the web after all, and if a web browser were
    the front end (instead of wxPython) then one could use any device with
    a browser (such as my Zaurus PDA, which runs Opera) to produce blog
    posts or other content.

    So you got me thinking about it, and at the risk of further displaying
    my ignorance, I came up with three possible advantages to using
    wxPython:

    1. Perhaps wxPython offers a bigger set of widgets to work with than
    is available using just a browser with html, allowing a better user
    experience, during the content creation and management activity (as
    opposed to when the content is being viewed on the web). Actually, it
    is theoretically possible that one could use the ArticleCollection
    aspect of Firedrop for content that is not meant to be viewed on the
    web, so that the content might need graphical capabilities beyond
    those in web browsers; but I don't think this a major factor.

    2. Using wxPython, along with wax, may be just plain easier (and more
    enjoyable ) to program with. One of the main goals of the firedrop
    project, as I understand it, is to be easy and fun to extend using
    Python, wxPython, and wax. Perhaps this combination gives a more
    Pythonic overall programming experience than using only Python and a
    web browser front end.

    3. As a learning exercise, if one wants to improve one's ability to
    program in wxPython, extending and adding features to Firedrop may be
    worth while beyond its sheer utilitarian value, for which a web
    browser front end might be in some ways preferable.

    I stand ready to be corrected on any or all of the above speculations.
    I am a clueless newbie after all, but your post did prompt me to
    think, so I offer my response.

    Maybe Hans will weigh in on this subject...

    Also, I think Hans has an article on Firedrop (and Kaa, an earlier,
    similar project of his using Tkinter instead of wxPython) in an
    upcoming issue of Pyzine.

    Ron Stephens

    Ron Stephens, Feb 1, 2004