Firefox 2.0.0.2 Error: too much recursion

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Daniel Guettler, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. I'm getting lots of "Error: too much recursion" in my Firefox Error
    Console

    I have created these little files to test it. It justs opens a new
    window and closes it again. I see plenty of errors showing up in the
    Error Console

    The main file:
    onclick="window.open('popup.html','test_window','toolbar=0,menubar=1,location=0,scrollbars=1');">test</
    a>

    and the popup file

    I kept the files as simple as possible to track down the error hope it
    isn't to simple.

    Thanks, Daniel

    Daniel Guettler, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Daniel Guettler

    Une Bévue Guest

    Randy Webb <> wrote:

    > Either it is too simple or something else is going on as I can not
    > reproduce it using FF 2.0.0.2 on WinXP.

    I had something like that yestersay too (under MacOS X) :

    "too much recursion"

    BUT surprisingly this morning with the same page :

    <http://91.57.96.20/DHTML/fixed_layout.xhtml?color=brown>

    i do not have any more this error message...

    i've remarked sometime FF2.0.0.2 duplicates tabs, for example, today i
    have 11 tabs opened (saved by Prefs > Current pages).

    but yesterday i had n times those 11 tabs opened )))

    as far as i remember well n was about 4 !!!

    and also, again under MacOS X, ff2.0.0.2 complains about internal
    javascript being in error...
    --
    Une Bévue

    Une Bévue, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Daniel Guettler

    VK Guest

    > > I had something like that yestersay too (under MacOS X) :
    >
    > The OP's headers indicate MacOS X as well so it may be something unique
    > to the FF and OS X as I still can't duplicate it on a PC.
    >
    > > "too much recursion"

    > > BUT surprisingly this morning with the same page :

    > > <http://91.57.96.20/DHTML/fixed_layout.xhtml?color=brown>

    > > i do not have any more this error message...

    > That indicates, again, that it is something going on with FF2/OS X and
    > not the code.

    I couldn't load the linked page (404) to compare, but did you try to
    compare the behavior with name for popup and w/o it? (2nd argument in
    window.open method). Gecko engine retains the original recursion limit
    from JavaScript 1.0: no more than 1000 recursions per context
    http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.js-engine/msg/57934d626c75f7d3

    I don't know exactly how window.open might cause exceeding this limit,
    but one of speculations could be an OS-specific gc failure with
    references in window.frames collection. Just a guess.

    VK, Mar 11, 2007