Firefox 2.0.0.2 Error: too much recursion

Daniel Guettler

I'm getting lots of "Error: too much recursion" in my Firefox Error
Console

I have created these little files to test it. It justs opens a new
window and closes it again. I see plenty of errors showing up in the
Error Console

The main file:
onclick="window.open('popup.html','test_window','toolbar=0,menubar=1,location=0,scrollbars=1');">test</
a>

and the popup file

I kept the files as simple as possible to track down the error hope it
isn't to simple.

Thanks, Daniel

Une Bévue

Randy Webb said:
Either it is too simple or something else is going on as I can not
reproduce it using FF 2.0.0.2 on WinXP.

I had something like that yestersay too (under MacOS X) :

"too much recursion"

BUT surprisingly this morning with the same page :

<http://91.57.96.20/DHTML/fixed_layout.xhtml?color=brown>

i do not have any more this error message...

i've remarked sometime FF2.0.0.2 duplicates tabs, for example, today i
have 11 tabs opened (saved by Prefs > Current pages).

but yesterday i had n times those 11 tabs opened )))

as far as i remember well n was about 4 !!!

and also, again under MacOS X, ff2.0.0.2 complains about internal
javascript being in error...

VK

I had something like that yestersay too (under MacOS X) :
The OP's headers indicate MacOS X as well so it may be something unique
to the FF and OS X as I still can't duplicate it on a PC.

That indicates, again, that it is something going on with FF2/OS X and
not the code.

I couldn't load the linked page (404) to compare, but did you try to
compare the behavior with name for popup and w/o it? (2nd argument in
window.open method). Gecko engine retains the original recursion limit
from JavaScript 1.0: no more than 1000 recursions per context
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.js-engine/msg/57934d626c75f7d3

I don't know exactly how window.open might cause exceeding this limit,
but one of speculations could be an OS-specific gc failure with
references in window.frames collection. Just a guess.