FireFox and iframes

Ian Rutgers

Hi everyone,

I have FireFox 1.0.5.4 and am coding this page
http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/studentresources/testSheets.php In IE &
Opera the iframe loads correctly (no scrollbars and sized correctly with
Javascript). In FireFox the scrollbar appears even though I have explicity
stated scrolling="no". My css sets the width of the iframe and indicates
that the overflow is visible.

Is this a known issue with FireFox or am I missing something (html/css
wise)?

Thanks,

Ian

Nikita the Spider

Ian Rutgers said:
Hi everyone,

I have FireFox 1.0.5.4 and am coding this page
http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/studentresources/testSheets.php In IE &
Opera the iframe loads correctly (no scrollbars and sized correctly with
Javascript). In FireFox the scrollbar appears even though I have explicity
stated scrolling="no". My css sets the width of the iframe and indicates
that the overflow is visible.

Is this a known issue with FireFox or am I missing something (html/css
wise)?

Hi Ian,
I've never used iframes or messed much with overflow:, but since no one
else has answered I thought I'd toss out my uninformed reply.

On my Firefox (1.5.4, OS X) the content of the iframe isn't entirely
visible without a vertical scrollbar. Suppose you delete everything
below "STRIKING / PRESSURE POINTS:" -- do you still get a scrollbar? If
so, I don't know what to suggest. But if the scrollbar goes away then, I
think Firefox is just trying to ensure that users can get to your
content.

Jonathan N. Little

Ian said:
Hi everyone,

I have FireFox 1.0.5.4 and am coding this page
http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/studentresources/testSheets.php In IE &
Opera the iframe loads correctly (no scrollbars and sized correctly with
Javascript). In FireFox the scrollbar appears even though I have explicity
stated scrolling="no". My css sets the width of the iframe and indicates
that the overflow is visible.

Is this a known issue with FireFox or am I missing something (html/css
wise)?

If you are using PHP why are you bothering with an IFRAME?

Ian Rutgers

Jonathan N. Little said:
If you are using PHP why are you bothering with an IFRAME?

I could write dynamic code in PHP but am operating under the constraint that
the client has to be able to edit the pages in Macromedia Contribute so by
putting the test sheets in individual files, it makes it easier for editing.
If you have another PHP solution ... I am all ears! '-)

Ian Rutgers

Nikita the Spider said:
Hi Ian,
I've never used iframes or messed much with overflow:, but since no one
else has answered I thought I'd toss out my uninformed reply.

On my Firefox (1.5.4, OS X) the content of the iframe isn't entirely
visible without a vertical scrollbar. Suppose you delete everything
below "STRIKING / PRESSURE POINTS:" -- do you still get a scrollbar? If
so, I don't know what to suggest. But if the scrollbar goes away then, I
think Firefox is just trying to ensure that users can get to your
content.
Thanks for the reply! In doing a little experimenting I found that FireFox
didn't accurately read the length of the content whereas IE and Opera do. I
have used illegal xhtml transitional coding (as well as some javascript
thrown in for good measure) to have it do what I want, but if there is a
better way to serve up the content (see my comments to Jonathan Little) I
will switch.

Jonathan N. Little

Ian said:
I could write dynamic code in PHP but am operating under the constraint that
the client has to be able to edit the pages in Macromedia Contribute so by
putting the test sheets in individual files, it makes it easier for editing.
If you have another PHP solution ... I am all ears! '-)

Sure very simple,

the insert file "junior_yellow.php" is done with a
<?php
include_once(junior_yellow.php);
?>

so your client can do that same as they where before and your main page

http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/studentresources/testSheets.php

can process a query string to load whatever your client's pages are
instead of the src for an iframe, so above example a link URL would be
something like this:

http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/studentresources/testSheets.php?p=junior_yellow

Then with proper checking of course process the query string 'p'
parameter and

<?php
$fileToInclude=$_GET['p'] . 'php';
// of course I show not checking here and you will want a
// 'default' page for no query parameter on invalid ones

include_once($fileToInclude);
?>

Real simple and NO IFRAME, links to the different belts would be:

testSheets.php?p=junior_yellow
testSheets.php?p=junior_green
testSheets.php?p=adult_black

Ian Rutgers

[...]

[...]