Firefox and Multiple Screens

Robert Inder

I am trying to build an interface for browsing a web-accessible
database from a twin-monitor "kiosk", using Windows XP, with the
option to "extend the desktop" onto the second screen.

I want to control the way windows are positioned on the two screens.

((Note: this is a "special case" interface. It is NOT part of the
normal web site, it is only meant to be used from these twin
screen machines, which will have known configurations. It
is not meant to be a general web interface or work on any
other setup...))

I have spent a while banging my head against this, and I believe I
have discovered the following.

By default, "window.open" and "window.moveTo" take locations, but
seem to be constrained to be entirely on the primary screen. So even
if you ask for a window to open on the (part of the desktop displayed
on the) second screen, it will in fact appear on the main display.

In Internet Explorer, there is a security setting named something like
"allow script-initiated windows without size or position constraints"
which lets me get around this. If I enable this, I can use javascript
to open windows on whichever desktop I choose.

I would LIKE to be able to keep open the option of using (or, if
necessary, changing to) Firefox on these kiosks. But I cannot
see how to do this: it does not seem to have any equivalent to this
security setting, so I cannot get windows off the primary display.

Can anybody shed any light? Is there a way to do this?

Robert.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Robert said:
By default, "window.open" and "window.moveTo" take locations, but
seem to be constrained to be entirely on the primary screen. So even
if you ask for a window to open on the (part of the desktop displayed
on the) second screen, it will in fact appear on the main display.

In Internet Explorer, there is a security setting named something like
"allow script-initiated windows without size or position constraints"
which lets me get around this. If I enable this, I can use javascript
to open windows on whichever desktop I choose.

I would LIKE to be able to keep open the option of using (or, if
necessary, changing to) Firefox on these kiosks. But I cannot
see how to do this: it does not seem to have any equivalent to this
security setting, so I cannot get windows off the primary display.

Can anybody shed any light? Is there a way to do this?

While I consider Firefox's behavior a bug (that you should file on
Bugzilla if it has not been filed there before), you can

A) use a signed script on these boxes
B) modify the Firefox preferences on these boxes

and request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to work around that.

It has been asked about circumventing security restrictions
not long ago:
Please do research on previous articles before you post.
Google is your friend. [psf 6.1]

PointedEars

Randy Webb

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 2/6/2006 10:12 AM:
While I consider Firefox's behavior a bug (that you should file on
Bugzilla if it has not been filed there before), you can

You consider it a bug that Firefox won't allow you to open, or move, a
window to a point that is not on the main display? That's not a bug. It
is a very well thought out feature.

I consider it a bug/flaw that browsers even allow you to move a window
much less open it where I don't want it.

Robert Inder

Subject: Re: Firefox and Multiple Screens
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 16:12:51 +0100
Robert Inder wrote:
While I consider Firefox's behavior a bug (that you should file on
Bugzilla if it has not been filed there before), you can
A) use a signed script on these boxes
B) modify the Firefox preferences on these boxes
and request the UniversalBrowserWrite privilege to work around that.

Thanks.

Documentation on this doesn't exactly leap out at one, but I think
I've found what i need.
PointedEars

Robert.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

^^^^^^^^
No need to reproduce those headers.
^^^^^
You still have something to configure left ;-)

[Fixed quotation]

You are welcome.
Documentation on this doesn't exactly leap out at one,

I do not understand. You just had to follow the message-ID I posted
and would have found

<URL:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Bypassing_Security_Restrictions_and_Signing_Code>

in the referenced posting.
but I think I've found what i need.

OK. (Maybe it was not the above.)

Please do not quote signature names unless you are referring to them
directly, and please delimit your signature with "-- " (Gnus is definitely
capable of that, too. Some people say it even can brew your coffee :))

Regards,
PointedEars