FireFox and table border

MG

There is a table on this page:
www.sallys.co.za/venue.htm

In IE it displays the way I expect it to. However, in FF the table border
becomes "detached" from the table. ie there is a large space between the
table and its border.

What causes this?

How do I fix it?

Thanks
MG

Rick Brandt

MG said:
There is a table on this page:
www.sallys.co.za/venue.htm

In IE it displays the way I expect it to. However, in FF the table
border becomes "detached" from the table. ie there is a large space
between the table and its border.

What causes this?

How do I fix it?

Thanks
MG

The 3 ems of padding you have set for the table class?
table.Std {border:gray solid 2px; padding:3em;}

Jonathan N. Little

MG said:
There is a table on this page:
www.sallys.co.za/venue.htm

In IE it displays the way I expect it to. However, in FF the table border
becomes "detached" from the table. ie there is a large space between the
table and its border.

What causes this?

Not Firefox but IE, IE is improperly ignoring the padding that you put
on the table as Rick pointed out.

The table's padding should be added to the border-spacing for the
exterior table cells in the table. IE is not playing by the rules here. See:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#propdef-border-spacing

See for yourself, IE is not applying the 50px padding here:

<head>

<title>Demo</title>

TABLE { border: 1px solid #f00; padding: 50px; border-spacing 15px;
background-color: #ff0;}
TD { border: 5px solid #0f0; background-color: #0ff;}

</head>

MG

There is a table on this page:
The 3 ems of padding you have set for the table class?
table.Std {border:gray solid 2px; padding:3em;}

Thanks Rick
That was it.
Now I just have to try and understand why it works differently in IE and FF.

MG