Firefox - ASP.NET 2.0 Client Callback

Guest

Does Firefox (latest version - 1.5.0.6) support ASP.NET version 2 client
callbacks ?

I have written a sample C# client callback app.... and with FireFox ...
Page.Request.Browser.SupportsCallback=true, however
Page.Request.Browser.SupportsXmlHttp=false.

In any event, if I ignore the Browser capabilities FireFox does not work.
Various Internet postings seem to suggest that XmlHttp support is provided in
Firefox, however I can find no way to enable or disable.

Can someone provide some guidance on this critical need ?... FireFox
(1.5.0.6) XmlHttp support for asp.net 2.0 client callbacks ?

Martin Honnen

Philip said:
Does Firefox (latest version - 1.5.0.6) support ASP.NET version 2 client
callbacks ?

I have written a sample C# client callback app.... and with FireFox ...
Page.Request.Browser.SupportsCallback=true, however
Page.Request.Browser.SupportsXmlHttp=false.

In any event, if I ignore the Browser capabilities FireFox does not work.
Various Internet postings seem to suggest that XmlHttp support is provided in
Firefox, however I can find no way to enable or disable.

Can someone provide some guidance on this critical need ?... FireFox
(1.5.0.6) XmlHttp support for asp.net 2.0 client callbacks ?

The quick start samples
<http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/doc/tipstricks/default.aspx>
links to e.g.
<http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/samples/tipstricks/CallBackEventHandler_vb.aspx>
which works with Firefox. Looking at the client-side script ASP.NET 2.0
generates there it simply use XMLHttpRequest which Mozilla/Firefox do
support for years now, and which Opera 8 and 9 have too.

XMLHTTP is part of MSXML, a COM component, which is generally not
supported and used by cross platform browsers like Mozilla or Opera, so
that entry in the ASP.NET 2.0 HttpBrowserCapabilities is probably only
meant to indicate support for using that part of MSXML but does not tell
whether browsers have support for XMLHttpRequest.