'Firefox can't find the file at /home/rick/feDD/return false;?.'

crb

I'm trying to test some ideas for a typing accelerator using
JavaScript with Firefox and I've got error that's got me, but then I
must say my JavaScript is lacking. The script works till I add an help
feature which basically at the start overlays the user's TEXTAREA with
description of the application. To start writing one clicks on a
'Continue' button and the TEXTAREA come up and one is suppose to start
writing. Well when clicking 'Continue' there is a flash of a TEXTAREA
but then I get:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /home/rick/feDD/return false;?.

* Check the file name for capitalization or other typing
errors.

* Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

Try Again

My code for the help object is:

function help(node, helpText){

this.text = '<P ALIGN=CENTER><FONT SIZE=4><B>FE 2007</B></FONT></P>
<P><META NAME="CHANGEDBY" CONTENT="Rick Berger"><FONT SIZE=2>1. FE
2007 is a prototype to test and demonstrate features for a typing
accelerator(word completion program) to assist in writing. ... </
FONT> </P>';

this.preHelp = node;
this.node = this.preHelp;

if( helpText ) {
this.text = helpText;
}

this.branch = document.createElement("div");
this.branch.innerHTML = this.text;

this.toggle = function () {
var replacement = this.on ? this.preHelp : this.branch;
this.node.parentNode.replaceChild(replacement, this.node);
this.node = replacement;
this.on = !this.on;
return true;
}

this.on = false;
this.toggle();

}

And I bind its toggle function to the 'Continue' button with this
code:

feHelp = new help(usersTA);
document.getElementById("feContinueHelp").onclick= function()
{ feHelp.toggle(); };

Can anybody give me any suggestions on what I'm missing?

crb

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

crb said:
[...] Well when clicking 'Continue' there is a flash of a TEXTAREA
but then I get:

File not found

Firefox can't find the file at /home/rick/feDD/return false;?.
[...]

My code for the help object is:
[...]

The posted code does not reveal anything that would explain the above error
message.

Suffice it to say that at some point -- supposedly in another event listener
for the `click' event of the same element -- you must have the script cause
the UA to navigate to a resource `/home/rick/feDD/return false;?' or
`file:///home/rick/feDD/return false;?', which you have to find and correct.

Look for assignments to `location', `location.href', for calls of
location.replace(), and for `return false;' which probably became part of
the path string as a result of improper line terminators, maybe caused by
use of a code minimizer.

Validate your markup first; it may reveal the source of your problem:

http://validator.w3.org/

You also want to escape `</' in your string literals as `<\/' if that code
is part of an HTML document.

That said, avoid using the proprietary `innerHTML' property, and don't use
it without a previous feature-test at runtime.

HTH

PointedEars