    sun.
    Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell me.

    Steven
    steven, Dec 18, 2004

  2. steven

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message
    news:fMYwd.3739$-ops.be...
    > Hi,
    > I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
    > HTML/CSS
    > features, most of which IE got wrong.
    > One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an eagle,
    > where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle or the
    > sun.
    > Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell me.

    Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html
    Ryan Stewart, Dec 18, 2004

  3. steven

    Richard Guest

    Ryan Stewart wrote:

    > "steven" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
    >> HTML/CSS
    >> features, most of which IE got wrong.
    >> One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an
    >> eagle, where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle
    >> or the sun. Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell
    >> me.

    > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
    IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
    In firefox, it worked perfectly.

    Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.
    Richard, Dec 18, 2004
  4. steven

    steven Guest

    "Ryan Stewart" <> wrote in message
    > "steven" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
    > > HTML/CSS
    > > features, most of which IE got wrong.
    > > One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an

    eagle,
    > > where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle or

    the
    > > sun.
    > > Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell me.
    > >

    > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    Please, be kind to me, Ryan. Please. :)

    Of course I tried Google first! Usually it's *me* who finds *anything*
    within 15 seconds. Must have focused on the wrong keywords. The refering
    page I was looking for is http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos.html.
    Some nice demos there. Not surprisingly, IE gets the game right, but not the
    relevant stuff. Well, that Microsoft for you, I guess... ;-)

    Thanks,
    Steven
    steven, Dec 18, 2004
  5. steven

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >

    >>"steven" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
    >>>HTML/CSS
    >>>features, most of which IE got wrong.
    >>>One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an
    >>>eagle, where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the eagle
    >>>or the sun. Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell
    >>>me.

    >>Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    >>http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    > With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
    > IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
    > In firefox, it worked perfectly.
    >
    > Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.

    What's new ?!! Unfortunately, the lack of IE support for PNG alpha transparency
    has been a problem for years. Microsoft's "solution" is to tell us to use the
    AlphaImageLoader DirectX control for every PNG on a page, but this is the most
    cack-handed workaround ever.

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Dec 19, 2004
  6. steven

    steven Guest

    > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >
    > > "steven" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I saw a webpage recently which demonstrated a number of *standard*
    > >> HTML/CSS
    > >> features, most of which IE got wrong.
    > >> One was a PNG transparency demo, which had images of the sun and an
    > >> eagle, where you could move the eagle's shadow when you dragged the

    eagle
    > >> or the sun. Seems I lost the link. I'd be grateful if some1 could tell
    > >> me.

    > > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    > With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
    > IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
    > In firefox, it worked perfectly.
    >
    > Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.

    In case you need another argument, see http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
    I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
    flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
    illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up pages
    which do.
    Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the short
    hand indicating the minutes?
    steven, Dec 19, 2004
  7. In article <Afbxd.4197$-ops.be>,
    says...
    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message
    > > Ryan Stewart wrote:
    > >
    > > > "steven" <> wrote in message

    > eagle
    > > > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    > > > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    > > With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
    > > IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
    > > In firefox, it worked perfectly.
    > >
    > > Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.
    > >

    > In case you need another argument, see http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
    > I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
    > flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
    > illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up pages
    > which do.
    > Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the short
    > hand indicating the minutes?

    The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
    adapt to the difference.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 19, 2004
  8. steven

    steven Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <Afbxd.4197$-ops.be>,
    > says...
    > > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message

    > > eagle

    tell

    > > > With that kind of demo, it only proves IE sucks royally.
    > > > IE doesn't know what to do with a png layer for sure.
    > > > In firefox, it worked perfectly.
    > > >
    > > > Hate to say this, but I think I'll trash IE.
    > > >

    > > In case you need another argument, see

    http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
    > > I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
    > > flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
    > > illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up

    pages
    > > which do.
    > > Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the

    short
    > > hand indicating the minutes?

    > The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
    > adapt to the difference.

    Until she has to read the time on another watch...
    steven, Dec 19, 2004
  9. steven

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    f"steven" <> wrote in message
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <Afbxd.4197$-ops.be>,
    >> says...
    >> > Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the

    > short
    >> > hand indicating the minutes?

    >> The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
    >> adapt to the difference.
    >>

    > Until she has to read the time on another watch...

    Regardless, I would still buy the watch.
    Ryan Stewart, Dec 19, 2004
  10. steven

    SpaceGirl Guest

    steven wrote:
    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <Afbxd.4197$-ops.be>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>>"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in message

    >>>eagle

    > tell

    >>>In case you need another argument, see

    > http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.
    >
    >>>I realise that statements like "IE sucks" can easily provoke another
    >>>flame-war. However, the argument isn't just emotional: all the examples
    >>>illustrate *facts*. IE does not comply with standards and messes up

    > pages
    >
    >>>which do.
    >>>Would you buy a watch with the long hand indicating the hours, and the

    > short
    >
    >>>hand indicating the minutes?

    >>The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
    >>adapt to the difference.
    >>

    > Until she has to read the time on another watch...

    Problem is, the watch came with birth and it's very hard to remove. And
    most people cant be bothered and are scared by other watches because
    they're harder to use.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Dec 19, 2004
  11. steven

    steven Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote in message
    > steven wrote:
    > > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>In article <Afbxd.4197$-ops.be>,
    > >> says...

    > > http://www.nefkom.net/g.piesche/ie/.

    > > pages

    > > short

    > >>The length of the hands is almost irrelevant as the wearer would soon
    > >>adapt to the difference.
    > >>

    > > Until she has to read the time on another watch...
    > >

    > Problem is, the watch came with birth and it's very hard to remove. And
    > most people cant be bothered and are scared by other watches because
    > they're harder to use.

    Yes, that was a bad metaphore. But I maintain that standards are important.
    steven, Dec 19, 2004
  12. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:18:38 -0600, Ryan Stewart wrote:

    > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    It is interseting to note that this eagle demo works in Opera as well.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 20, 2004
  13. steven

    steven Guest

    "Jeffrey Silverman" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:18:38 -0600, Ryan Stewart wrote:
    >

    > > Try Google first next time. Took me about 15 seconds to find this:
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos/eagle-sun.html

    > It is interseting to note that this eagle demo works in Opera as well.

    Good. Not that I doubted it. Same for the ohe other demos, and for other
    browsers.
    It's just this one browser. Again. What's it called again, something like
    Exploder, isn't it?
    steven, Dec 20, 2004