Firefox doesn't take form target correctly

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Oliver Arndt, May 2, 2006.

  1. Oliver Arndt

    Oliver Arndt Guest

    hi,

    I have a little problem with a form, specially the target defined in the
    form tag:

    <form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
    action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
    onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>

    the function openPopup opens the target browserwindow (by
    window.open('etc...) and loads a html with a frameset in the popup. the
    second frame is named tempMail (=target) and its framesource is set to
    "about:blank".

    this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
    opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window itself
    where the form is located.

    <base target="tempMail"> doesn't help...

    any help would be appreciated

    Oliver Arndt, May 2, 2006

  2. Oliver Arndt wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I have a little problem with a form, specially the target defined in the
    > form tag:
    >
    > <form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
    > action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
    > onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>
    >
    > the function openPopup opens the target browserwindow (by
    > window.open('etc...) and loads a html with a frameset in the popup. the
    > second frame is named tempMail (=target) and its framesource is set to
    > "about:blank".
    >
    > this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
    > opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window itself
    > where the form is located.
    >
    > <base target="tempMail"> doesn't help...
    >
    > any help would be appreciated

    Where is this form...not visible on page that you list. Not your only
    problem though, bad browser sniffing. I get a 'Please Update Your
    Browser' when clicking links the a need 'Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and above.'
    I'm using SeaMonkey which is technically *above* Mozilla Firefox 1.0!!!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2006

  3. Oliver Arndt

    Oliver Arndt Guest

    hi jonathan,

    thanks for your quick response.
    1) what do you mean with "where is this form"? where in the body of the
    html file?
    2) as I see firefox everywhere installed on my friends machines and as
    the target attribute is such a basic feature, I still hope to find a
    solution on that.

    telling the user "sorry, not with your browser" is IMHO unacceptable for
    a simple target option.

    @all: maybe there is a special CSS tag or javascript for firefox to take
    ONLY the popup as the form target... any idea? :)

    cheers
    oliver

    Oliver Arndt, May 2, 2006
  4. Oliver Arndt

    Jim Moe Guest

    Oliver Arndt wrote:

    > <form name="mailMe" method="post" accept-charset="utf-8"
    > action="http://www.mysite.net/cgi" target="tempMail"
    > onSubmit="openPopup()"> [...] </form>
    >
    > this works perfectly in IE and in opera but not in firefox! firefox
    > opens the target in the popup (as defined) AND in the main window itself
    > where the form is located.

    Change
    onSubmit="openPopup()"
    onsubmit="openPopup(); return false;"

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, May 2, 2006
  5. Oliver Arndt wrote:
    > hi jonathan,
    >
    > thanks for your quick response.
    > 1) what do you mean with "where is this form"? where in the body of the
    > html file?

    Precisely, do not see *any* form elements withing source of given url:

    http://home.mysite.com/

    > 2) as I see firefox everywhere installed on my friends machines and as
    > the target attribute is such a basic feature, I still hope to find a
    > solution on that.

    Target should be use with frames only, and use of frames is questionable IMO

    > telling the user "sorry, not with your browser" is IMHO unacceptable for
    > a simple target option.

    But that is what happens when your click 'PhotoSite' link on your page.
    Target had nothing to do with it, the browser sniffer did...

    > @all: maybe there is a special CSS tag or javascript for firefox to take
    > ONLY the popup as the form target... any idea? :)

    Not sure what your mean here.

    Also, please do not top post in the newsgroup

    > Jonathan N. Little schrieb:
    >> Oliver Arndt wrote:
    >>> hi,

    <snipped top posting>

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 2, 2006
  6. Oliver Arndt

    Oliver Arndt Guest

    the given url was just an example to tell you that the ACTION uses a
    http url. the page is not online yet.

    what do you mean with "please do not top post in the newsgroup"?
    what is a "top post" at all? sorry, for any inconvenience caused.

    Oliver Arndt, May 3, 2006
  7. Oliver Arndt

    Oliver Arndt Guest

    hi jim,

    thanks for the tip. unfortunately this didn't change anything. although
    I thought, that ONSUBMIT must get a "return true" after all to launch
    the ACTION...(?)

    Oliver Arndt, May 3, 2006
  8. Oliver Arndt wrote:
    > the given url was just an example to tell you that the ACTION uses a
    > http url. the page is not online yet.
    >
    > what do you mean with "please do not top post in the newsgroup"?
    > what is a "top post" at all? sorry, for any inconvenience caused.

    Top posting is just what sound like, putting your comments at the top
    ABOVE the bits you are replying to. in a newsgroup it can get quite
    confusing as to what your are referring to when the posting looks like
    Jeopardy!

    A:Because it makes more sense to read the question first before the answer.

    Q:What is wrong with top posting?

    Got it? ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 3, 2006
  9. Oliver Arndt

    Oliver Arndt Guest

    >> what do you mean with "please do not top post in the newsgroup"?
    >> what is a "top post" at all? sorry, for any inconvenience caused.

    > Top posting is just what sound like, putting your comments at the top
    > ABOVE the bits you are replying to. in a newsgroup it can get quite
    > confusing as to what your are referring to when the posting looks like
    > Jeopardy!
    >
    > A:Because it makes more sense to read the question first before the answer.
    >
    > Q:What is wrong with top posting?
    >
    > Got it? ;-)

    got it. nice example! thx :)

    Oliver Arndt, May 3, 2006
  10. Oliver Arndt

    Jim Moe Guest

    Oliver Arndt wrote:

    > thanks for the tip. unfortunately this didn't change anything. although
    > I thought, that ONSUBMIT must get a "return true" after all to launch
    > the ACTION...(?)

    Hmm. Good point. That works for <a> elements. I thought it might work
    for <form> as well.

    Jim Moe, May 3, 2006