Firefox Error Console links

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Robert, May 10, 2010.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I have a question about the display of javascript Errors in the Firefox
    Error Console. Maybe not completely on-topic, but I hope someone here
    might know the answer.

    The Error Console will display an error when a javascript object is
    thrown (and not catched).
    If this is done with the normal Error object, for example:
    throw new Error("my message")
    then it shows the error message and a nice link that you can use to jump
    to the file and line number
    where the Error object was created.

    I would like to know what the exact conditions are for this link to be
    displayed.
    I ask this because I tried to extend the Error object in many ways to
    distinguish between different
    exceptions, yet still have that useful link in the Error Console.

    My custom Exception object is extended in such a way that "instanceof
    Error" returns true. And it contains
    the fileName and lineNumber properties. Yet I still see no link.

    I give some javascript to show you one method I used to extend the Error
    object:

    ************
    clone = function (object)
    {
    function Dummy(){};
    Dummy.prototype = object;
    return new Dummy();
    }

    extend = function (superclass, subclass)
    {
    subclass.prototype = clone(superclass.prototype);
    subclass.prototype.constructor = subclass;
    }

    Exception = function(error)
    {
    for (var p in error)
    {
    this[p] = error[p];
    extend(Error, Exception);
    Exception.prototype.toString = function()
    {
    return "Exception: " + this.message + "
    (filename="+this.fileName+":"+this.lineNumber+")";
    }

    throw new Exception(Error("my exception"));

    Kind regards,
    Robert

    Robert, May 10, 2010