    Any ideas on this?

    Cheers

    Geoff
    Geoff Cox, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Geoff Cox

    töff Guest

    That's a reference to a file on your local hard drive C: ... IE and
    Firefox handle local addresses differently. In the grand scheme, it
    doesn't matter much, because every will be loading your pages via
    HTTP. But it's a pain, isn't it, while you try to test your stuff
    locally before uploading. Sorry, but I don't know a workaround. Unless
    somebody elses here knows a workaround, you have to choose one browser
    to test your work on locally, then upload it and test on the other
    browser.
    töff, Apr 8, 2007

  3. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On 8 Apr 2007 09:22:05 -0700, "töff" <> wrote:

    >That's a reference to a file on your local hard drive C: ... IE and
    >Firefox handle local addresses differently. In the grand scheme, it
    >doesn't matter much, because every will be loading your pages via
    >HTTP. But it's a pain, isn't it, while you try to test your stuff
    >locally before uploading. Sorry, but I don't know a workaround. Unless
    >somebody elses here knows a workaround, you have to choose one browser
    >to test your work on locally, then upload it and test on the other
    >browser.

    well, thanks for the "bad" news!

    Cheers

    Geoff
    Geoff Cox, Apr 8, 2007
  4. Geoff Cox

    -Lost Guest

    <Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:...
    > hello,
    >
    > I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
    > as the browser I get the error message
    >
    > "Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
    > (c) isn't associated with any program"
    >
    > Any ideas on this?

    I am not sure about what töff said, but that error specifically refers to the protocol (as
    in, http:, file:, gopher:, et cetera).

    Testing locally should not be a problem assuming Homesite sends it across via a system
    browser request (whatever the correct terminology is) or as a file:///.

    The only time I have *ever* seen that message is if I accidentally typed ttp://blah.com
    (or any variation of an invalid protocol) and hit enter. It would say it cannot recognize
    'ttp:' protocol.

    So any idea why Homesite hands Firefox a 'c'?

    -Lost
    -Lost, Apr 8, 2007
  5. Geoff Cox

    Geoff Cox Guest

    On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:03:57 -0400, "-Lost" <>
    wrote:

    ><Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:...
    >> hello,
    >>
    >> I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
    >> as the browser I get the error message
    >>
    >> "Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
    >> (c) isn't associated with any program"
    >>
    >> Any ideas on this?

    >I am not sure about what töff said, but that error specifically refers to the protocol (as
    >in, http:, file:, gopher:, et cetera).
    >
    >Testing locally should not be a problem assuming Homesite sends it across via a system
    >browser request (whatever the correct terminology is) or as a file:///.
    >
    >The only time I have *ever* seen that message is if I accidentally typed ttp://blah.com
    >(or any variation of an invalid protocol) and hit enter. It would say it cannot recognize
    >'ttp:' protocol.
    >
    >So any idea why Homesite hands Firefox a 'c'?

    Solved! Looking at Homesite/Options/Configure external browsers I saw
    Firefox had DDE selected. Removed this and Firefox works OK!

    I see that DDE means Dynamic Data Exchange ...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Data_Exchange

    Googling with DDE and Firefox brings up lots of hits saying the above!
    Also suggesting that DDE should be used with IE.

    Cheers

    Geoff

    Geoff Cox, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Geoff Cox

    -Lost Guest

    Re: firefox error with Homesite? OT: DDE part II

    <Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:...
    > On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:03:57 -0400, "-Lost" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >><Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:...
    >>> hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
    >>> as the browser I get the error message
    >>>
    >>> "Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
    >>> (c) isn't associated with any program"
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on this?

    >>I am not sure about what töff said, but that error specifically refers to the protocol
    >>(as
    >>in, http:, file:, gopher:, et cetera).
    >>
    >>Testing locally should not be a problem assuming Homesite sends it across via a system
    >>browser request (whatever the correct terminology is) or as a file:///.
    >>
    >>The only time I have *ever* seen that message is if I accidentally typed ttp://blah.com
    >>(or any variation of an invalid protocol) and hit enter. It would say it cannot
    >>recognize
    >>'ttp:' protocol.
    >>
    >>So any idea why Homesite hands Firefox a 'c'?

    > Solved! Looking at Homesite/Options/Configure external browsers I saw
    > Firefox had DDE selected. Removed this and Firefox works OK!
    >
    > I see that DDE means Dynamic Data Exchange ...
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Data_Exchange
    >
    > Googling with DDE and Firefox brings up lots of hits saying the above!
    > Also suggesting that DDE should be used with IE.

    Cool.

    That is twice in one week I have seen mention of DDE.

    Funny, the only time I ever dealt with it was back in the script kiddie days of people
    trying to control your mIRC. One such method was writing a virus that told mIRC how to
    spam channels, people, et cetera.

    Then they figured out you can write mIRC "viruses" in mIRC Script alone.

    -Lost
    -Lost, Apr 8, 2007