Firefox force display of scrollbar

ryanmhuc

Is there a way with javascript to force firefox on a page to display
the scrollbar even when the content does not extend outside the
viewable error?

Going from page to page where the scroll bar displays and then doesn't
display causes the page to visually jump when the scroll bar is shown
then hidden.

rf

Is there a way with javascript to force firefox on a page to display
the scrollbar even when the content does not extend outside the
viewable error?
No.

Going from page to page where the scroll bar displays and then doesn't
display causes the page to visually jump when the scroll bar is shown
then hidden.

As it does for the other hundreds of millions of web pages out there.

Jeff North

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:26:50 -0800 (PST), in comp.lang.javascript
| Is there a way with javascript to force firefox on a page to display
| the scrollbar even when the content does not extend outside the
| viewable error?
|
| Going from page to page where the scroll bar displays and then doesn't
| display causes the page to visually jump when the scroll bar is shown
| then hidden.

Javascript is a bit of overkill. Use CSS:
html, body { width: 100%; height: 101%; }
-- -------------------------------------------------------------
(e-mail address removed) : Remove your pants to reply
-- -------------------------------------------------------------

David Mark

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:26:50 -0800 (PST), in comp.lang.javascript

Javascript is a bit of overkill. Use CSS:
html, body { width: 100%; height: 101%; }

For the love of God, don't do that.

Gregor Kofler

(e-mail address removed) meinte:
Is there a way with javascript to force firefox on a page to display
the scrollbar even when the content does not extend outside the
viewable error?

Where does this penchant for "solutions for non-existent problems" come
from? I want a scrollbar, when there is something to scroll to. Just
because IE uses up screen space for no apparent reason, there is no need
to duplicate this idiotic behaviour.

Anyway, CSS would suffice (and deal with all other more serious
browsers, too). However, it will never be an "inactive" scroll bar like
in IE, when there is nothing to scroll. Webpages with scrollbars, that
do nothing but distract, are perhaps not the smartest way to show
competence in web design.

Gregor

SAM

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :
Going from page to page where the scroll bar displays and then doesn't
display causes the page to visually jump when the scroll bar is shown
then hidden.

It is a question about CSS

body { overflow-y: scroll; } /* CSS 3 ? */

or

body { height: 101% } /* hideous */

The 1st doesn't work with my Safari 2, Opera 9.
(perhaps it works with IE 6 or/and 7 ?)

But all my browsers display (on Mac) something not too ugly with

body { overflow: scroll }

that display clear gost scrollbars when normal aren't necessary

David Mark

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :

It is a question about CSS

    body { overflow-y: scroll; }  /*  CSS 3 ?  */

or

     body { height: 101% }       /* hideous */

That's worse than hideous. It's completely insane.
The 1st doesn't work with my Safari 2, Opera 9.

It might work in newer versions of FF.
(perhaps it works with IE 6 or/and 7  ?)

As Gregor noted, IE (idiotically) displays a scrollbar whether it is
needed or not, so it isn't part of the "problem."
But all my browsers display (on Mac) something not too ugly with

      body { overflow: scroll }

that display clear gost scrollbars when normal aren't necessary

Horizontal and vertical of course. What a waste that would be.