    What do other people use?

    Thanks,

    Tmuld

    Tmuldoon, Jun 25, 2008

  2. On Jun 25, 12:12 pm, Tmuldoon <> wrote:
    > I am looking for a free HTML editor where I can view the source and
    > make changes on the fly-  WYSIWYG - can save and upload.

    Did you even try to google "free HTML editor"?

    Travis Newbury, Jun 25, 2008

  3. JohnW-Mpls wrote:

    > Tmuldoon wrote:
    >> I am looking for a free HTML editor where I can view the source and
    >> make changes on the fly- WYSIWYG - can save and upload.
    >>
    >> Does Firefox have something like that?
    >>
    >> What do other people use?

    Me, a good syntax-color-coding text editor. If you're using Windows (you
    didn't say), look at the Crimson Editor. No, it's not "WYSIWYG", thus
    giving you the ability to "control your own destiny."

    I use Bluefish, but that's not for Windows.

    > Try SeaMonkey - a cousin of Firefox (use the same basic Mozilla
    > code). Where Firefox is browser only, SeaMonkey has the old
    > Netscape/Mozilla combination of browser, email, address book, and
    > editor/composer all built into the one package.
    >
    > SeaMonkey's Composer is the editor you asked for.
    >
    > Go to: Mozilla.org where in addition to Firefox and Thunderbird,
    > SeaMonkey is offered. All free.

    Composer development is inactive, as far as I know. Even better than the
    Mozilla Composer is the continuing development fork of that product,
    called KompoZer. Install it as a separate product. Specific browser not
    needed.

    http://kompozer.net/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 26, 2008
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty replied to hisself:

    > .. look at the Crimson Editor. ..

    and in case your Google search was unsuccessful, here's the link:
    http://crimsoneditor.com/

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 26, 2008
  5. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Tmuldoon wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am looking for a free HTML editor where I can view the source and
    > make changes on the fly- WYSIWYG - can save and upload.
    >
    > Does Firefox have something like that?
    >
    > What do other people use?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tmuld

    Netscape 4.78 to Netscape 4.8 are a lot better than most of the others.

    There are far too many bugs and limitations in Sea monkey.
    EG: you can't set a known font size. Colors get ruined in links.
    I have asked for support, but found there isn't any.

    All the others I have tried are very much the same, yet I would love
    something that displayed/edited raw HTML code and actually didn't have
    these bugs.

    I am even prepared to pay a reasonable price for a decent HTML editor,
    but I am yet to find one.

    Cheers Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

    Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

    Don McKenzie, Jun 27, 2008
  6. Don McKenzie wrote:

    > There are far too many bugs and limitations in Sea monkey.

    Have you looked at the KompoZer version yet? If you liked the old
    Netscape version of Composer, you would probably like this:

    http://kompozer.net/features.php

    Cross-platform as well; Win/Mac/Linux versions. Download and install,
    it's a separate product, not integrated with your browsers.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 27, 2008
  7. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Don McKenzie wrote:
    >
    >> There are far too many bugs and limitations in Sea monkey.

    > Have you looked at the KompoZer version yet? If you liked the old
    > Netscape version of Composer, you would probably like this:
    >
    > http://kompozer.net/features.php
    >
    > Cross-platform as well; Win/Mac/Linux versions. Download and install,
    > it's a separate product, not integrated with your browsers.

    thanks, but tried that, and nvu also.

    can't set font size to a known value, and various other problems. so
    many problems I had to drop it.

    why can these developers make them right?
    but they are all the same.
    it would be so simple to fix them.
    a set font size can't be all that difficult to make in an editor.
    smaller/larger just doesn't cut it.

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Jun 28, 2008
  8. Don McKenzie wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Don McKenzie wrote:
    >>> There are far too many bugs and limitations in Sea monkey.

    >> Have you looked at the KompoZer version yet? If you liked the old
    >> Netscape version of Composer, you would probably like this:
    >>
    >> http://kompozer.net/features.php
    >>
    >> Cross-platform as well; Win/Mac/Linux versions. Download and
    >> install, it's a separate product, not integrated with your browsers.

    > thanks, but tried that, and nvu also.

    Composer, NVu, and KompoZer are all (more or less) the same program.
    Development on the first two is stagnant, but the guys working on the
    fork KompoZer are continuing development.

    > can't set font size to a known value, and various other problems. so
    > many problems I had to drop it.

    What do you mean by "known value?" Are you hard-coding font sizes?

    Do you use CSS? You should set your font size to 100%.
    http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php

    > why can these developers make them right?
    > but they are all the same.
    > it would be so simple to fix them.
    > a set font size can't be all that difficult to make in an editor.
    > smaller/larger just doesn't cut it.

    Setting explicit font sizes is old school. You don't want to do that,
    nor do you want to use any presentation within the HTML.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 28, 2008
  9. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    Thanks for the feed back Beauregard, and Ed,

    Let's start with the problem of font sizes.

    > What do you mean by "known value?" Are you hard-coding font sizes?

    No, I am simply setting them from the value of 18 to 36, as allowed in
    Netscape navigator composer.

    > Do you use CSS? You should set your font size to 100%.
    > http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php

    never used it, apart from a little hand coding on a shopping cart.

    > Setting explicit font sizes is old school. You don't want to do that,
    > nor do you want to use any presentation within the HTML.

    Old school, maybe so, I'm prepared to do it another way, if the other
    way is simpler, easier, and makes sense.

    These new programs you mention only allow me to have larger, or smaller
    fonts, but I want a set size for a specific application, EG: standard
    text, heading etc.

    Just like Microsoft word, and most other programs do it, not by guessing
    at larger/smaller fonts sizes. I need a set known value.

    Netscape will do it, and I guess I have been using it since it was first
    released around 1995. Anything after about 4.8 wouldn't do what I needed.

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Jun 28, 2008
  10. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Gus Richter wrote:
    > Don McKenzie wrote:
    >>
    >> These new programs you mention only allow me to have larger, or
    >> smaller fonts, but I want a set size for a specific application, EG:
    >> standard text, heading etc.
    >>
    >> Just like Microsoft word, and most other programs do it, not by
    >> guessing at larger/smaller fonts sizes. I need a set known value.
    >>
    >> Netscape will do it, and I guess I have been using it since it was
    >> first released around 1995. Anything after about 4.8 wouldn't do what
    >> I needed.

    Hi Gus, again, thanks for the feed back.

    I have already approached the group on Sea Monkey, and been told that no
    help can be given for the composer, as no support is available.

    > First of all, Seamonkey's Composer is really just Netscape's Composer.

    Yes, but with flaws.

    What I am asking for is already in Netscape 4.78

    I would think I have hand coded html before most of you knew what it
    was, as I did it first around 1993-94.

    No, I am not saying I am smarter, just older. :)

    I'm well into my sixties and been in business since 1964, and into
    computers in the mid 70's. I have written in many languages, and even
    written power on self test (POST) diagnostics in 8088 assembly code for
    XT's, and designed the appropriate hardware to make it tick. Some of the
    older readers may be able to relate to that.

    Sure, my brain box isn't what it used to be, and to learn yet another
    language like CSS usage, when I shouldn't need to, just doesn't make sense.

    All I want is a modern version of what was available in the mid-90's,
    but it appears there is nothing equivalent that will do the job for me.

    As I say Word, XL and most sensible programs will allow you to set a
    font size simply. Yet I can't find a modern HTML editor that will do
    this, well, not with the other features that Net 4.78 offers.

    I should not have to hand code, to set a font size.

    As 4.78 will do everything I need, with the exception of grabbing raw
    html code from within the application, it looks like I'll stick with it.

    My main application is to put together fairly basic html pages, grab the
    output, and place it into a product page in a shopping cart.

    To give you an idea of the html code I have generated over the years,
    here is a list of my current domains:

    http://www.dontronics-shop.com
    http://www.x-bee.biz
    http://www.bascom-avr.biz
    http://www.codevision.biz
    http://www.olimex.biz
    http://www.the-wizard-from-oz.com
    http://www.wizard-from-oz.com
    http://www.wizard-of-oz.com
    http://www.oshonsoft.biz
    http://www.dontronics.com.au
    http://www.dontronics.com
    http://www.dontronics.biz
    http://www.simmstick.com

    and it was all done with Netscape 4.78

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Jun 28, 2008
  11. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Gus Richter wrote:

    > mozilla.support.seamonkey on the news.mozilla.org server and if you
    > have problems there, then go to:
    >
    > mozilla.test.multimedia on the same server and you will get
    > satisfaction there guaranteed. Samples and images to help understand can
    > and will be provided there.
    >
    > Please try m.s.seamonkey first and then m.t.multimedia stating
    > clearly what you want and the problem you have had previously regarding
    > getting help there.

    apologies Gus,

    I missed what you were telling me here.
    Onto it now.

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Jun 28, 2008
  12. On Jun 27, 11:11 pm, Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > Finally, if you expect to find any WYSIWYG HTML editor that works very
    > well yo will always be disappointed.

    I tend to disagree. The latest Dreamweaver produces some very clean
    code. Their templates promote flexible design as well as using CSS
    for presentation. It also offers validation for both HTML and CSS.
    It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

    > there is no substitute for knowing
    > what you're doing, and being able to code it "by hand."

    A WYSIWYG editor is useless in the hands of someone that does not know
    how to hand code. Pilots use auto pilot to fly the plane, but they
    still know how to. A WYSIWYG editor is of similar value

    > All that any
    > WYSIWYG program can do is guess at what you want to have happen, and
    > specify it in one of a myriad of ways.

    But their guessing (speaking for dreamweaver) is getting pretty
    good.

    >  If you want to control what your
    >   Web pages look like and how they are perceived, then stop now and
    > start to learn HTML and CSS.

    Absolutely.

    Travis Newbury, Jun 28, 2008
  13. Guy Macon wrote:

    > .. while Beauregard appears to be talking about setting explicit font
    > sizes for *everyone* in his HTML/CSS.

    That is exactly what, "Do you use CSS? You should set your font size to
    100%. " meant. ;-) Everyone's preferred size.

    body { font-size: 100%; } /* Everyone's chosen default size */
    h1 { font-size: 175%; } /* Adjust heading sizes as appropriate */
    h2 { font-size: 150%; }
    h3 { font-size: 135%; }
    h4 { font-size: 125%; }
    ..legalese { font-size: 85%; } /* Footers and the "fine print" */

    Very little else is required for font sizing.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 28, 2008
  14. Tmuldoon

    David Segall Guest

    Sherman Pendley <> wrote:

    >Don McKenzie <5V@2.5A> writes:
    >
    >> I would think I have hand coded html before most of you knew what it
    >> was, as I did it first around 1993-94.

    >I was not only writing HTML by hand, I was working at a web hosting
    >provider, and on the 2.0 release of an HTML editor around that
    >time. (For the curious, that was Infoboard and Internet Creator,
    >respectively.)

    Oh no! I just posted the following to a Java newsgroup.

    "Please, let's not do the computer equivalent of "The Four Yorkshire
    Men" <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNGhcdtMbc> again.

    Since I have recently complained about irrelevant YouTube links I
    should add that the link is to a Monty Python skit about how happy but
    poor the men were in the good old days."

    David Segall, Jun 28, 2008
  15. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Guy Macon wrote:
    > Don McKenzie wrote:
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Don, it sounds to me like you are talking about setting explicit font
    > sizes for yourself in your browser (and I agree that this is useful;
    > have you tried making your own default CSS or a font override in your
    > accessability options?) while Beauregard appears to be talking about
    > setting explicit font sizes for *everyone* in his HTML/CSS.

    Thanks Guy, and everyone else.

    It looks like I have been doing it wrong for 13 odd years.
    I guess I should look at producing CSS, if I want a standard font size
    then. I'll go check it out, and see what's involved.

    > The later fails because different users have different resolutions,
    > different screen sizes, and different visual acuity. For example,
    > at the moment I am sitting at a workbench with two computers, both
    > of which have browser windows open. One is 640x480x16bit on a 15"
    > screen, while the other is 1200x1600x32bit on a 19" screen -- and
    > if I really wanted to I could move to an engineering workstation
    > with dual 3840x2400 on a 22 inch monitors, fire up my Asus Eee with
    > 800x480 on 7" screen or even dig up my old Sidekick cellphone with
    > a 240x160 monochrome 2 1/2" screen.

    Digressing for a moment, I have 3 x EEE PC's 1 by 4G, and 2 by 8G. great
    aren't they?

    But then, I know that will start a different argument :)

    Cheers Don...

    Don McKenzie, Jun 28, 2008
  16. Tmuldoon

    Don McKenzie Guest

    David Segall wrote:
    > Sherman Pendley <> wrote:
    >
    >> Don McKenzie <5V@2.5A> writes:
    >>
    >>> I would think I have hand coded html before most of you knew what it
    >>> was, as I did it first around 1993-94.

    >> I was not only writing HTML by hand, I was working at a web hosting
    >> provider, and on the 2.0 release of an HTML editor around that
    >> time. (For the curious, that was Infoboard and Internet Creator,
    >> respectively.)

    > Oh no! I just posted the following to a Java newsgroup.
    >
    > "Please, let's not do the computer equivalent of "The Four Yorkshire
    > Men" <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqNGhcdtMbc> again.
    >
    > Since I have recently complained about irrelevant YouTube links I
    > should add that the link is to a Monty Python skit about how happy but
    > poor the men were in the good old days."

    I used to dream of living in a shoe box, along with 150 others. :)

    I lived here instead:
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/where-was-don-for-25-years-tote-history.html
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/australias-first-pc.html

    Don...