Firefox HTML edit

Tmuldoon

Hello,

I am looking for a free HTML editor where I can view the source and
make changes on the fly- WYSIWYG - can save and upload.

Does Firefox have something like that?

What do other people use?

Thanks,

Tmuld

Travis Newbury

I am looking for a free HTML editor where I can view the source and
make changes on the fly-  WYSIWYG - can save and upload.

Did you even try to google "free HTML editor"?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Me, a good syntax-color-coding text editor. If you're using Windows (you
didn't say), look at the Crimson Editor. No, it's not "WYSIWYG", thus
giving you the ability to "control your own destiny."

I use Bluefish, but that's not for Windows.
Try SeaMonkey - a cousin of Firefox (use the same basic Mozilla
code). Where Firefox is browser only, SeaMonkey has the old
Netscape/Mozilla combination of browser, email, address book, and
editor/composer all built into the one package.

SeaMonkey's Composer is the editor you asked for.

Go to: Mozilla.org where in addition to Firefox and Thunderbird,
SeaMonkey is offered. All free.

Composer development is inactive, as far as I know. Even better than the
Mozilla Composer is the continuing development fork of that product,
called KompoZer. Install it as a separate product. Specific browser not
needed.

http://kompozer.net/

Don McKenzie

Tmuldoon said:
Hello,

I am looking for a free HTML editor where I can view the source and
make changes on the fly- WYSIWYG - can save and upload.

Does Firefox have something like that?

What do other people use?

Thanks,

Tmuld

Netscape 4.78 to Netscape 4.8 are a lot better than most of the others.

There are far too many bugs and limitations in Sea monkey.
EG: you can't set a known font size. Colors get ruined in links.
I have asked for support, but found there isn't any.

All the others I have tried are very much the same, yet I would love
something that displayed/edited raw HTML code and actually didn't have
these bugs.

I am even prepared to pay a reasonable price for a decent HTML editor,
but I am yet to find one.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Don said:
There are far too many bugs and limitations in Sea monkey.

Have you looked at the KompoZer version yet? If you liked the old
Netscape version of Composer, you would probably like this:

http://kompozer.net/features.php

Cross-platform as well; Win/Mac/Linux versions. Download and install,
it's a separate product, not integrated with your browsers.

Don McKenzie

Beauregard said:
Have you looked at the KompoZer version yet? If you liked the old
Netscape version of Composer, you would probably like this:

http://kompozer.net/features.php

Cross-platform as well; Win/Mac/Linux versions. Download and install,
it's a separate product, not integrated with your browsers.

thanks, but tried that, and nvu also.

can't set font size to a known value, and various other problems. so
many problems I had to drop it.

why can these developers make them right?
but they are all the same.
it would be so simple to fix them.
a set font size can't be all that difficult to make in an editor.
smaller/larger just doesn't cut it.

Cheers Don...

--

Don said:
thanks, but tried that, and nvu also.

Composer, NVu, and KompoZer are all (more or less) the same program.
Development on the first two is stagnant, but the guys working on the
fork KompoZer are continuing development.
can't set font size to a known value, and various other problems. so
many problems I had to drop it.

What do you mean by "known value?" Are you hard-coding font sizes?

Do you use CSS? You should set your font size to 100%.
http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php
why can these developers make them right?
but they are all the same.
it would be so simple to fix them.
a set font size can't be all that difficult to make in an editor.
smaller/larger just doesn't cut it.

Setting explicit font sizes is old school. You don't want to do that,
nor do you want to use any presentation within the HTML.

Don McKenzie

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

Thanks for the feed back Beauregard, and Ed,

Let's start with the problem of font sizes.
What do you mean by "known value?" Are you hard-coding font sizes?

No, I am simply setting them from the value of 18 to 36, as allowed in
Netscape navigator composer.
Do you use CSS? You should set your font size to 100%.
http://tekrider.net/html/fontsize.php

never used it, apart from a little hand coding on a shopping cart.
Setting explicit font sizes is old school. You don't want to do that,
nor do you want to use any presentation within the HTML.

Old school, maybe so, I'm prepared to do it another way, if the other
way is simpler, easier, and makes sense.

These new programs you mention only allow me to have larger, or smaller
fonts, but I want a set size for a specific application, EG: standard
text, heading etc.

Just like Microsoft word, and most other programs do it, not by guessing
at larger/smaller fonts sizes. I need a set known value.

Netscape will do it, and I guess I have been using it since it was first
released around 1995. Anything after about 4.8 wouldn't do what I needed.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

Don McKenzie

Hi Gus, again, thanks for the feed back.

I have already approached the group on Sea Monkey, and been told that no
help can be given for the composer, as no support is available.
First of all, Seamonkey's Composer is really just Netscape's Composer.

Yes, but with flaws.

What I am asking for is already in Netscape 4.78

I would think I have hand coded html before most of you knew what it
was, as I did it first around 1993-94.

No, I am not saying I am smarter, just older. :)

I'm well into my sixties and been in business since 1964, and into
computers in the mid 70's. I have written in many languages, and even
written power on self test (POST) diagnostics in 8088 assembly code for
XT's, and designed the appropriate hardware to make it tick. Some of the
older readers may be able to relate to that.

Sure, my brain box isn't what it used to be, and to learn yet another
language like CSS usage, when I shouldn't need to, just doesn't make sense.

All I want is a modern version of what was available in the mid-90's,
but it appears there is nothing equivalent that will do the job for me.

As I say Word, XL and most sensible programs will allow you to set a
font size simply. Yet I can't find a modern HTML editor that will do
this, well, not with the other features that Net 4.78 offers.

I should not have to hand code, to set a font size.

As 4.78 will do everything I need, with the exception of grabbing raw
html code from within the application, it looks like I'll stick with it.

My main application is to put together fairly basic html pages, grab the
output, and place it into a product page in a shopping cart.

To give you an idea of the html code I have generated over the years,
here is a list of my current domains:

http://www.dontronics-shop.com
http://www.x-bee.biz
http://www.bascom-avr.biz
http://www.codevision.biz
http://www.olimex.biz
http://www.the-wizard-from-oz.com
http://www.wizard-from-oz.com
http://www.wizard-of-oz.com
http://www.oshonsoft.biz
http://www.dontronics.com.au
http://www.dontronics.com
http://www.dontronics.biz
http://www.simmstick.com

and it was all done with Netscape 4.78

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

Don McKenzie

Gus said:
mozilla.support.seamonkey on the news.mozilla.org server and if you
have problems there, then go to:

mozilla.test.multimedia on the same server and you will get
satisfaction there guaranteed. Samples and images to help understand can
and will be provided there.

Please try m.s.seamonkey first and then m.t.multimedia stating
clearly what you want and the problem you have had previously regarding
getting help there.

apologies Gus,

I missed what you were telling me here.
Onto it now.

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html

Travis Newbury

Finally, if you expect to find any WYSIWYG HTML editor that works very
well yo will always be disappointed.

I tend to disagree. The latest Dreamweaver produces some very clean
code. Their templates promote flexible design as well as using CSS
for presentation. It also offers validation for both HTML and CSS.
It is a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.
 there is no substitute for knowing
what you're doing, and being able to code it "by hand."

A WYSIWYG editor is useless in the hands of someone that does not know
how to hand code. Pilots use auto pilot to fly the plane, but they
still know how to. A WYSIWYG editor is of similar value
All that any
WYSIWYG program can do is guess at what you want to have happen, and
specify it in one of a myriad of ways.

But their guessing (speaking for dreamweaver) is getting pretty
good.
 If you want to control what your
  Web pages look like and how they are perceived, then stop now and
start to learn HTML and CSS.

Absolutely.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Guy said:
.. while Beauregard appears to be talking about setting explicit font
sizes for *everyone* in his HTML/CSS.

That is exactly what, "Do you use CSS? You should set your font size to
100%. " meant. ;-) Everyone's preferred size.

body { font-size: 100%; } /* Everyone's chosen default size */
h1 { font-size: 175%; } /* Adjust heading sizes as appropriate */
h2 { font-size: 150%; }
h3 { font-size: 135%; }
h4 { font-size: 125%; }
..legalese { font-size: 85%; } /* Footers and the "fine print" */

Very little else is required for font sizing.

David Segall

Sherman Pendley said:
I was not only writing HTML by hand, I was working at a web hosting
provider, and on the 2.0 release of an HTML editor around that
time. (For the curious, that was Infoboard and Internet Creator,
respectively.)
Oh no! I just posted the following to a Java newsgroup.

"Please, let's not do the computer equivalent of "The Four Yorkshire
Men" <
> again.

Since I have recently complained about irrelevant YouTube links I
should add that the link is to a Monty Python skit about how happy but
poor the men were in the good old days."

Don McKenzie

Don, it sounds to me like you are talking about setting explicit font
sizes for yourself in your browser (and I agree that this is useful;
have you tried making your own default CSS or a font override in your
accessability options?) while Beauregard appears to be talking about
setting explicit font sizes for *everyone* in his HTML/CSS.

Thanks Guy, and everyone else.

It looks like I have been doing it wrong for 13 odd years.
I guess I should look at producing CSS, if I want a standard font size
then. I'll go check it out, and see what's involved.
The later fails because different users have different resolutions,
different screen sizes, and different visual acuity. For example,
at the moment I am sitting at a workbench with two computers, both
of which have browser windows open. One is 640x480x16bit on a 15"
screen, while the other is 1200x1600x32bit on a 19" screen -- and
if I really wanted to I could move to an engineering workstation
with dual 3840x2400 on a 22 inch monitors, fire up my Asus Eee with
800x480 on 7" screen or even dig up my old Sidekick cellphone with
a 240x160 monochrome 2 1/2" screen.

Digressing for a moment, I have 3 x EEE PC's 1 by 4G, and 2 by 8G. great
aren't they?

But then, I know that will start a different argument :)

Cheers Don...

--

David said:
Oh no! I just posted the following to a Java newsgroup.

"Please, let's not do the computer equivalent of "The Four Yorkshire
Men" <
> again.

Since I have recently complained about irrelevant YouTube links I
should add that the link is to a Monty Python skit about how happy but
poor the men were in the good old days."

I used to dream of living in a shoe box, along with 150 others. :)

I lived here instead:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/where-was-don-for-25-years-tote-history.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/australias-first-pc.html

Don...