Firefox is no longer naming outlines elements?

dorayme

I have Firefox 2.0.0.1 and it is no longer naming outlined
elements via the developer extension menus. Previous to some
recent updates (to which I generally say yes to when they come up
auto) I was able to tick "Outline current element" which meant
that when analysing a page one could hover over a bit of the page
and see the element outlined. This bit still works. But the
crucial and useful text at the bottom of the browser window that
names the element outlines is now not showing. Yes, I have got
the "Show element names when outlining" ticked and tried
unticking it and reticking etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a general prob or a Mac
version prob or just my prob?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
I have Firefox 2.0.0.1 and it is no longer naming outlined
elements via the developer extension menus. Previous to some
recent updates (to which I generally say yes to when they come up
auto) I was able to tick "Outline current element" which meant
that when analysing a page one could hover over a bit of the page
and see the element outlined. This bit still works. But the
crucial and useful text at the bottom of the browser window that
names the element outlines is now not showing. Yes, I have got
the "Show element names when outlining" ticked and tried
unticking it and reticking etc.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a general prob or a Mac
version prob or just my prob?

You you have the latest WDB version, 1.1.3? 'cuz it works for me.

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
You you have the latest WDB version, 1.1.3? 'cuz it works for me.

The WBD version I have used to work fine in this regard. But
perhaps now it does not with the updates to the browser itself?

In looking at the browser to see how to check up on which version
of the WDB (in response to your words Jonathan) I now notice
something! The element names _are_ showing, but not at bottom as
before in the left bottom of browser where hovered links display
etc (is there a name for this area? I think there is, and js
people use it?). They are showing in a little "Web Developer"
field under (roughly) the url field. A fancy pants new thing, at
least so far as I have now noticed.

But it will do.
Phew!

What really worried me was this: without that one feature I could
not diagnose quickly and with blinding accuracy all the cries for
help that come my way when I am on the alt.html southern
hemisphere help desk when my pardner Korpela is away from the
northern one. He needs his sleep and I aim to hold the fort while
he is doing it...

(btw, imagine Korpela needing things like WDB! With piano tuners,
the best just listen and turn the tensioning up or down on the
strings, they have a fundamental grasp. There are others who use
electronic gear.)

Where is that 4"x 2" block of hardwood I keep to deal with my
head at times like these?

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
The WBD version I have used to work fine in this regard. But
perhaps now it does not with the updates to the browser itself?

Which version is that?

In looking at the browser to see how to check up on which version
of the WDB (in response to your words Jonathan) I now notice
something! The element names _are_ showing, but not at bottom as
before in the left bottom of browser where hovered links display
etc (is there a name for this area? I think there is, and js
people use it?). They are showing in a little "Web Developer"
field under (roughly) the url field. A fancy pants new thing, at
least so far as I have now noticed.

Actually I was unaware of the tool, I had always used the DOM inspector
for such diags. This could be handy...

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
Which version is that?

It was perhaps from a file I downloaded , a compressed file
called "web_developer-1.0.2-fx+fl.xpi"

Every now and then when starting FF it asks you if you are happy
to update this or that and I say yes (I am like that, trusting...)

I am talking fast here because I do not actually know how to find
out quickly what version of the WDB I have, it is sort of
embedded into the FF app.
Actually I was unaware of the tool, I had always used the DOM inspector
for such diags. This could be handy...

It is very very handy indeed. You go to the Outline menu, choose
Outline current element and Show element names... and hover over
the page and you will see. This way you can be sure of what is
what while you are also looking at the css for some problem

Jonathan N. Little

dorayme said:
It was perhaps from a file I downloaded , a compressed file
called "web_developer-1.0.2-fx+fl.xpi"

Every now and then when starting FF it asks you if you are happy
to update this or that and I say yes (I am like that, trusting...)

I am talking fast here because I do not actually know how to find
out quickly what version of the WDB I have, it is sort of
embedded into the FF app.

You are going to smack your forehead (if you have one) when you find
out! On the bar the last dropdown as at the very last item "About..."
standard like apps!

Also you can go from the FF menu, "Tools>Add-ons>Extensions", you can
update from here!

dorayme

"Jonathan N. Little said:
You are going to smack your forehead (if you have one) when you find
out! On the bar the last dropdown as at the very last item "About..."
standard like apps!

1.1.3

(I do not use this browser all that much).
Also you can go from the FF menu, "Tools>Add-ons>Extensions", you can
update from here!

Yes. I have Firebug 1.01 because Els said to (where the hell is
she? In fact, where are the other ladies? BdeZ? Remember Space
Girl? Ms Boswell is here thank heavens... Sally? You men are too
aggressive and are scaring them away... <g>)

I have Bandwidth Meter 1.03 because it is driving a friend of
mine around the corner crazy that I have faster DSL than he has
and he insisted to find out just how much he is falling behind
the modern martian around town...

I have DOM Inspector 1.8.1.1

FireFTP 094.6

Tab Mix Plus 0.3.5.2 and last but not least,

Talkback 2.0.0.1.9.1.3.6.8.9.9.4.7 which makes like a parrot and
blurts out the foulest things at the most inappropriate times...

Not nice like:

<

Toby A Inkster

dorayme said:
the left bottom of browser where hovered links display
etc (is there a name for this area? I think there is, and js
people use it?)

Status Bar

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

dorayme

Toby A Inkster said:
Status Bar

That's it!

It is information about the brain that the subject recognises an
answer to a question he/she forgot. Imagine all the rich lodes of
stuff worth recovering from our brains. One day we will get
better brains, either though a modified evolution or by
incorporation of electronic gear.