Firefox Links Table Problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by enaitee, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. enaitee

    enaitee Guest

    I have a problem with displaying a table of links in Firefox 1.5 that
    displays perfectly in IE 6. My web site page www.nickataylor.com/Sites-I-
    Like.html displays a table of links to other web pages. In Firefox,
    while most of the table entries display nicely, certain entries are
    missing entirely but show up fine in IE. Entries are either side by side
    pairs or single central (colspan="2"). In one instance a side by side
    pair are both absent and in three other cases only the right side member
    of pairs is gone.

    I've validated the html so the only error is a small one of no importance
    at the bottom of the page. It's in a "search http://demoz.org" that
    works OK but the validator doesn't like a bit of the paste in code.

    I've tried eliminating the left panel bookmarks to make more room
    thinking maybe the side by side table entries were being crowded but it
    makes no difference.

    I've compared missing and present table entries html of nearly identical
    nature side by side and can see no difference. What I did find was
    eliminating the trailing quotation mark in a link's
    alt="somethingsomethingetc" magically restores the missing link which had
    me searching for an extra or missing " to no avail.

    Firefox will correctly display the missing link images when these are
    separately called up with the path used in the link so that's ok. All
    the link images are in my own directory so it's not a case of something
    like "adblock" excluding web material it thinks are spam.

    I've spent a good many hours in the past tracking down html syntax errors
    but this time I'm stumped. I use plain 'ol MS NotePad for editing my
    html. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards, Nick

    enaitee, Aug 10, 2006

  2. enaitee

    Sym Guest

    The only diff I can see is the hung-art and the two links after it are
    centre on IE and left o FF ?

    Sym, Aug 10, 2006

  3. enaitee wrote:

    > I have a problem with displaying a table of links in Firefox 1.5

    FWIW, the page looks the same to me in IE 6, Firefox 1.5.0.6, and Opera
    9. I don't see, or notice, any missing links/images.

    You should optimize a lot of those images.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 10, 2006
  4. enaitee

    David Guest

    enaitee wrote:
    > I have a problem with displaying a table of links in Firefox 1.5 that
    > displays perfectly in IE 6. My web site page www.nickataylor.com/Sites-I-
    > Like.html displays a table of links to other web pages. In Firefox,
    > while most of the table entries display nicely, certain entries are
    > missing entirely but show up fine in IE. Entries are either side by side
    > pairs or single central (colspan="2"). In one instance a side by side
    > pair are both absent and in three other cases only the right side member
    > of pairs is gone.

    I am looking at you page in both FireFox 1.5.06 and also in MSIE
    6.0.2800.1106 and they look the same.

    David, Aug 10, 2006
  5. enaitee

    enaitee Guest

    enaitee <> wrote in

    > I have a problem with displaying a table of links in Firefox 1.5 that
    > displays perfectly in IE 6. My web site page
    > www.nickataylor.com/Sites-I- Like.html displays a table of links to
    > other web pages. In Firefox, while most of the table entries display
    > nicely, certain entries are missing entirely but show up fine in IE.
    > Entries are either side by side pairs or single central (colspan="2").
    > In one instance a side by side pair are both absent and in three
    > other cases only the right side member of pairs is gone.
    >
    > I've validated the html so the only error is a small one of no
    > importance at the bottom of the page. It's in a "search
    > http://demoz.org" that works OK but the validator doesn't like a bit
    > of the paste in code.
    >
    > I've tried eliminating the left panel bookmarks to make more room
    > thinking maybe the side by side table entries were being crowded but
    > it makes no difference.
    >
    > I've compared missing and present table entries html of nearly
    > identical nature side by side and can see no difference. What I did
    > find was eliminating the trailing quotation mark in a link's
    > alt="somethingsomethingetc" magically restores the missing link which
    > had me searching for an extra or missing " to no avail.
    >
    > Firefox will correctly display the missing link images when these are
    > separately called up with the path used in the link so that's ok. All
    > the link images are in my own directory so it's not a case of
    > something like "adblock" excluding web material it thinks are spam.
    >
    > I've spent a good many hours in the past tracking down html syntax
    > errors but this time I'm stumped. I use plain 'ol MS NotePad for
    > editing my html. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards, Nick

    OK, it looks like whatever is happening it is local to my installed
    Firefox browser. I assume if it were a system problem ie Windows 2000 it
    would show up in IE as well. So, I can forget some undiscovered html
    problem. Thanks for the assist. As to some items being off center in FF
    but not in IE that's a cleanup job that was in progress when I started
    worrying about missing entries. IE centers everything but FF needs those
    clean Firefox reinstall wouldn't be amiss. Thanks again.

    enaitee, Aug 10, 2006